That "metal putty" stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That "metal putty" stuff...

Have a customer with a Shaw humbucker that has one of the baseplate mount holes drilled out wide to accommodate a rivet for a little plate that makes it a 3-screw mount instead of 2.

He wants it returned to standard 2-screw and I recall somebody mentioning some product that you can fill the hole with and redrill. Anyone remember the name of it?

"Lab Metal" probably. There are some plumbing and auto epoxy pastes filled with aluminum as well.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I use Chemical Metal. I know this isn't a brand known in the U.S. but it's available with some other name no doubt and you can get it on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chemical-Metal...QQcmdZViewItem
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Those may work but they're not it. It had kind of a catchy name to it.

But can you get the lab metal at your typical hardware store or is it limited to plumbing supplies?

Comment

jb weld could be what your thinking of. not particularly likely bot its similar to what youve been describing. im not sure about drilling, as it is quite brittle though...

Comment

Originally posted by black_labb View Post
            jb weld could be what your thinking of. not particularly likely bot its similar to what youve been describing. im not sure about drilling, as it is quite brittle though...
            That's it -- jb weld. Would a regular hardware store have it?

Also, I wonder if just soldering it and drilling it would work. It's soft enough to be sure, but maybe too soft in that it would quickly strip from the spring pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              That's it -- jb weld. Would a regular hardware store have it?

Also, I wonder if just soldering it and drilling it would work. It's soft enough to be sure, but maybe too soft in that it would quickly strip from the spring pressure.
              I have used JB weld, can be had at most hardware stores also. I have drilled and tapped it on an engine block and it held, water tight to boot.

Comment

Working...
              X