No announcement yet.

Lest play count the contradictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres a picture or a gfs pickup i got laying around i just removed the tape for a look ,its this set
    Strat Overwound Alnico Stagger Pickup Set
    the spool is awg 44 spn for color reference which dont help much
    [IMG][/IMG] the gfs pickup look lighter in color more orange than red, it could be formvar
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Could the color just be lighter due to the wax potting?

Comment

i looked at a pickup that i wound & potted with that spool in the picture its alot redder but i just the took the tape off a very cheap ceramic set out of a Asian guitar and its the same color wire .....whats the chances that the cheapest strat pickups on earth uses formvar wire ?

Comment

You can get magnet wire in any color you want. That has nothing to do with the type of insulation. It's just dye they add to it.

I have SPN in red and regular copper color.

You can get green, blue or black if you wanted it.

Here's four rolls of SPN, and each is a slightly different color.

Two are from Elecktrasola and two are from Essex.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by David Schwab; 11-16-2009, 12:53 AM.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I actually have set of those pickups. They are strange sounding, very snappy and dry compressed sustain. My pickups counted circa 500 ohms lower dc resistance than advertised.

Comment

I've tried a couple of GFS when I bought some just for special parts I couldn't get (like a plastic humbucker-sized P90 cover). For the money they're actually fairly decent, but nothing spectacular.

Comment

I had the GFS humbucker sized p-90's and there cheapest alinco single coil set. I like them when I first got them they were an upgrade but, after I did some tweaking on the rest of my rig the magic was gone.
                There is a chance I would buy the p90's again ( I would just wire them up differently) but he single coils just weren't happening. I buy a lot of hardware from them, the owner is a nice guy and the service is good.
                I hope the company makes it , the owner does have a vision for what he is doing and if he sticks with it experience will teach him what he needs to know in order to bring a mature and competitive product to the market.

Comment

i just rewound one of my gfs over-wound strat pickups,plastic bobbin set .originally it had 43 gauge wire the sound was a little bland not enough dynamics so i rewound it to about 8000 turns of awg42 it was so full i could barely get the cover on ,it sounds better now but it still not so good as a fiber bobbin pickup

Comment

Originally posted by JasonG View Post
                    I had the GFS humbucker sized p-90's and there cheapest alinco single coil set. I like them when I first got them they were an upgrade but, after I did some tweaking on the rest of my rig the magic was gone.
                    There is a chance I would buy the p90's again ( I would just wire them up differently) but he single coils just weren't happening. I buy a lot of hardware from them, the owner is a nice guy and the service is good.
                    I hope the company makes it , the owner does have a vision for what he is doing and if he sticks with it experience will teach him what he needs to know in order to bring a mature and competitive product to the market.
                    Did you have the Mean or Dream 90s?
                    I had some Mean 90s in my solid mahogany Jr. clone, and then I put them in a 335 clone. They were nicer in the 335--very versatile, but heck, it's a P-90!

I have the Dream 180s in there now and although they're not the end-all-be-all, they sound kinda like described and they're staying. PAF meets Filtertron (but without the refinement of the best of either).

Comment

I had the dream 90's. I experimented a lot with the pickup height on those. With some pickups you just throw them in the guitar and you seem get what you expect ,that was not my experience with the dream 90. I had to work a little more to get a sound I liked.
                      Last edited by JasonG; 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X