Cheap, easy beginning coil winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap, easy beginning coil winder

I was in Harbor Freight today. They're having a sale (as always) but I noticed that this:

was on sale for $30.

What made me notice it was the grinding wheels had been stripped off the grinder, and that made me look, and then I noticed the single-knob variable speed control.

I think if you took one of these and relocated the knob to a foot pedal, you could just remove the grinding wheels, attach a bobbin holding disk, and have a manual coil winder ready to go for $30, including having a warranty on it.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
    I was in Harbor Freight today. They're having a sale (as always) but I noticed that this:

was on sale for $30.

What made me notice it was the grinding wheels had been stripped off the grinder, and that made me look, and then I noticed the single-knob variable speed control.

I think if you took one of these and relocated the knob to a foot pedal, you could just remove the grinding wheels, attach a bobbin holding disk, and have a manual coil winder ready to go for $30, including having a warranty on it.
    No, you have to change the taper on the knob....Damn thing starts at about 6,666 rpms, with hardly no play.....thing is feather light too, which you would have to screw it to something....Speed knob needs replaced, shaft is not centered...there is a woble too.

Comment

Bummer - you'd have to not only pull off the grinding wheels and shrouds, you'd also have to change the pot out when you put it into a foot pedal for speed control, and also screw it down to something; on top of that, you'd have to try out the one you get and make sure there's no wobble.

Everybody, ignore this. It's way too much extra work! it makes a lot more sense to make the whole winder up out of plywood and old sewing machines.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

RG, the only thing which might be a problem is, reliability of the electronics. How long will they last slowing down and accelerating? Besides this, i'd like to see one showing up in euroland for that cheap

Comment

The motor is a brush-type universal motor, I think. At least it has brushes. The electronics is, frankly, the most trivial part of this. The mechanics of getting a motorized spindle set up for variable speed is the hard part - to me at least.

I almost bought one to play with. Maybe I will go back and get one.

... like I need another project...

Comment

A variac would solve the speed problem but that would end the "cheap" winder part. It would be a nice compact unit. Two coils at once??

Comment

I looked in the online manual for the thing at the HF web site and there is some kind of electronic speed control board inside the base. I think that one could work with that to get a lower controlled speed. Not sure, but probably.

Comment

R.G. I can't seem to be able to find it on the HF site. Would you mind giving us a link?

Thanks.

Max.

Comment

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

Comment

I did a search on "mini bench grinder" and found much the same thing at several ebay tool sellers, although at higher prices.

Comment

Ive seen this same one for $90.00, and the attachment is another $35. I got mine locally for $27.00 with the attachment ????? Thats strange shit right there. Gotta shop good for your tools. Its a cool little grinder to have. Very small too.

Comment

Working...
                      X