Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single coil Pickups GLASSY SOUND problem!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colmax View Post
    Peter Naglitsch - asked

"Can you measure the magnets strength?" yes strength of the magnet around 25 gouss
    I'm guessing thats what you use a RB Annis type of meeter, this little bastard show some scaled down version of Gaus measurements.

I think you should try to re-magnetise your magnets. A "healthy" AlNiCo5 magnet is in the 50 range on a RB Annis, more like 1000-1200 Gaus on an electronic, digital meeter (like my AlphaLab).

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
      I'm guessing thats what you use a RB Annis type of meeter, this little bastard show some scaled down version of Gaus measurements.

I think you should try to re-magnetise your magnets. A "healthy" AlNiCo5 magnet is in the 50 range on a RB Annis, more like 1000-1200 Gaus on an electronic, digital meeter (like my AlphaLab).
      Doesn't more gauss typically equal more highs (and lows) seems like that might be the opposite of what the OP wants.

Comment

So that difference in height was the issue? I've never wound pickups, I'm just curious how all the things add up to make the finished tone.

Comment

For a given number of turns, a taller bobbin will result in less inductance, since the flux path becomes longer and forms less efficiently. Less inductance will result in a higher resonant peak.

As far as the magnet's strength in relation to tonal balance, I think that's somewhat complicated. From an electronic standpoint, I can't reason why a pickup's frequency response would be non-linear with respect to magnetic strength, like, why would it be that once you reach a certain concentration of flux, that suddenly the bass frequencies become more prominent? Maybe it has less to do with the pickups, and more to do with how the amp responds to a weaker input signal. I wish I knew what real answer was.

Comment

They still sound pretty thin to me.
            Some of that could be the .022uf cap.
            Most use either the .047 or .1uf on a strat.
            Did you check your magnets for shorts, and did you re-charge your magnets.
            What was the DCR ohms impedance read for each pickup?
            They may be better, but I still think you can do better.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Magnet is about 25 G
              neck 5.9K
              middle 5.35K
              bridge 5.93K

I do not have short circuit on magnets...

Today I received a wire and coil

42 AWG Gauge Heavy Formvar Copper Magnet Wire 1 0 lbs 49600' 0 0029" 105C Amber | eBay

1959 Vintage Style Stratocaster Pickup Kit, Pickup Bobbin Kit

I do not know if I can set up these links...
              (I apologize in advance if this is not allowed)

Give me a recommendation how to make a model '59...
              But with good sound
              Magnets in already filled S-N-S UP

Thanks

Comment

That's fine with the links.
                I would save the high dollar 42HFV until you get everything perfected.
                I have wound a ton of this, and it makes great Strat pickups, solders easily and is cheap.
                Magnet Wire, Heavy Formvar Copper, 42HNS - Remington Industries
                Unless you are making vintage replicas, or vintage rewinds, I would just stay with the cheap poly coated wire.
                I don't understand the 5.35k on the middle, if they are all similar in turns? That one sounds like it may have a internal short.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...ckup-specs.pdf
                Last edited by big_teee; 03-18-2016, 02:12 AM.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JD0x0 View Post
                  Doesn't more gauss typically equal more highs (and lows) seems like that might be the opposite of what the OP wants.
                  Nope, a slightly weaker magnet yeas, but here we are talking about a distinctly under powered magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kolbeck View Post
                    For a given number of turns, a taller bobbin will result in less inductance, since the flux path becomes longer and forms less efficiently. Less inductance will result in a higher resonant peak.

As far as the magnet's strength in relation to tonal balance, I think that's somewhat complicated. From an electronic standpoint, I can't reason why a pickup's frequency response would be non-linear with respect to magnetic strength, like, why would it be that once you reach a certain concentration of flux, that suddenly the bass frequencies become more prominent? Maybe it has less to do with the pickups, and more to do with how the amp responds to a weaker input signal. I wish I knew what real answer was.
                    Strong magnets perturb the vibration of the string, and under certain conditions that can sound like more highs. This is often incorrectly generalized to mean that the strength of the permanent magnetic field influences the frequency response of the pickup. It is just another example of what happens when people try to make up rules about how pickups sound without any understanding of how they really work.

Comment

I've never beveled Alnico rods that far before so I can't say for sure, but I would think beveling them almost to a pencil point as you have probably thins out the tone a bit. Try the same recipe but with little to no beveling.

Comment

Blah, blah, woof, woof, Dunning-Kruger afflicted nonsense
                        Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                        just another example of what happens when people try to make up rules about how pickups sound without any understanding of how they really work.
                        I couldn't've said it better myself.
                        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                        Milano, Italy

Comment

Someone said something in short circuit...

I guess that's the problem ...

Yesterday came one guitar pickups maker from Toronto ...

He is not a professional but he made a lot of quality pickups ...

He checked my pickups and according to his calculations, they are short-circuited...

When h e reviewed the wire and my machine winding, we have found a possible problem...

Rod through which the wire passes before the coil off the insulation on the wire...

Today I have to do a new design for this and try to rewind again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	moto_0614.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	841381

Comment

Originally posted by colmax View Post
                            Someone said something in short circuit...

I guess that's the problem ...

Yesterday came one guitar pickups maker from Toronto ...

He is not a professional but he made a lot of quality pickups ...

He checked my pickups and according to his calculations, they are short-circuited...

When h e reviewed the wire and my machine winding, we have found a possible problem...

Rod through which the wire passes before the coil off the insulation on the wire...

Today I have to do a new design for this and try to rewind again...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38281[/ATTACH]
                            I said internal short.
                            I was going to ask next what kind of guide rod you are using?
                            But, you answered that for me.
                            I like a very smooth polished rod with stop collars to pass it under.
                            You want very little friction on the wire.
                            After you fix the guide problem?
                            Get you a couple of the big rolls of the poly wire, one 42 SP, one 42 HP, and you will be set!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Strong magnets perturb the vibration of the string, and under certain conditions that can sound like more highs. This is often incorrectly generalized to mean that the strength of the permanent magnetic field influences the frequency response of the pickup.
                              Can you describe in more detail why the perturbed vibration brought about by the increased magnetism would result in more high end, rather than less high end, or any other sort of outcome?

It is just another example of what happens when people try to make up rules about how pickups sound without any understanding of how they really work.
                              Was this in reference to me or someone else?

Comment

Was this in reference to me?
                                How can we put this in a way you can understand...YES!
                                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                                Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                                X