Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddy currents - Not Wally or Beaver currents 8-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I didn't think the new ones were the same so thanks for confirming it. I plan to get one of the new Brian May made Red Specials soon and I'll stick my Adesons in it. You're making your own Red Special? Should be interesting! I'd thought about doing that in the past for myself but I'm more into building amps lately so I decided not to.

Here's is something that Ade Turner emailed to me after I got my pickups and asked about them. I thought you might find it interesting and helpful.

Greg

Regarding the coils - all early European pickups (Hofner / Framus / Hoyer etc..) were built this way. The coil is wound on a removeable chassis - and then completely wrapped in a special armature winding tape (takes ages to learn this - they are ridiculously delicate!). The whole thing is pulled tight - just like lacing up your boots. The magnets are vintage ceramic (similar to Alnico 2). They have been out of production since the early seventies - I have to have them custom made - and they cost a fortune!!! The coils are then placed arround the bar magnets (the holes in the chrome top covers are purely aesthetic). The whole thing is then glued solid to prevent the brass top covers from causing howling. This is exactly how they were made 40 years ago - and they sound great!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to try and make a pretty authentic red special... right down to the neck extending all the way to the bridge. I will likely use a different bridge though, but I'm going to make the May tremolo system. I hate they way they look with a strat bridge!

I'm also not making it 24 inches. I'll stick with the Gibson scale.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X