School me on quality differences of Humbucker Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
    Thank you for mentioning the screw spacing. Back in the old days they all seemed interchangeable but I'd had so much trouble getting ones to match my pickups in recent years that I picked up some cheap slot top metal covers from China just to have around when I don't want the uncovered pickups to flop around in the mounting rings...

I've found that putting one or two thicknesses of electrical tape on top of the stud coil will usually work as well as wax potting for those squeals.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I think that metal covers help with the "buzzy" noises that I associate with unshielded Les Paul style guitars (the Seth Lover design usually takes care of the hum.)

P.P.S. I see that Philadelphia Luthier has free shipping for orders over $50. Damn... they have 6 pages of humbucker covers but this link should get you to the $6.49 ones that bajaman mentioned:

Pickup Making Parts - Pickup Covers - Humbucker - Page 1 - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

Geeze that place is expensive.

This base plate for example http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....k-new-version/

Who'd be interested in 1000 at $3.00 each?

Comment

Working...
    X