Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a vid!
    Sounds pretty decent to me!

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post

Going for that low, throaty sound?

Not intentionally; I was about 16 at the time, knew nothing about eddy currents, and it was for a bass. In 1964 basses were perceived as just going "thump, thump", and this one did that OK.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        I took a look at a video on their website.
        I hadn't noticed that. Trés cool.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Say what you want about these guys, but there is a big waiting list for their guitars, and they're getting good money for them. I have a friend who has been pushing me to build something like this for a couple of years. I've got some templates done, and will be making a couple starting soon. This format seems to be the most popular, but I might try a similar approach and shrink a byrdland, or a jaguar shape. Anyone want a 'Baby Byrd'? Maybe a 'Junior Jag'?
          Last edited by John_H; 08-30-2016, 02:30 PM. Reason: removed video

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Here's a vid!
            Did you notice the shop clock starting time?
            10 O'Clock. Sounds almost civilized to me!

EDIT:
            I also found it interesting that they use a chambered body, with a solid block of wood down the middle.
            That is quite a departure from the parlor guitars used by early blues players- which would have "box" bodies and ladder-braced (vs. X or fan-braced) tops.

In acoustic guitars, ladder-braced tops are less sensitive/responsive - so produce a compressed sound suitable for recording with early equipment. That is, you have to hit the strings pretty hard to get an appreciable volume- but then the volume remains relatively constant, resulting in natural sustain.
            Last edited by rjb; 08-30-2016, 08:03 PM.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Here's a vid!

Sounds very nice to me. Of course we have no idea how much equalization was applied to get the various sounds. I believe that recording is composed of at least two tracks with different EQs.

Two things of interest:

1. The pickup covers have a 3D curved pattern on top. Casting would be a good way to do it. If they are cast, then the thickness probably varies in any path drawn around the top (and possible edge) of the cover. The resistance around such a path might be higher than I have been thinking because it could enclose a thin region.

2. Neck wood is crucial, being the most flexible part in the neck-body resonant system. The mahog from Cen. Am. (or anywhere else) you can get today is not what it was. I think they are making good use of their stockpile.

Comment

I hadn't noticed that. Trés cool.
                OK, I guess that settles the question; cast they are. Is there more than one type of pickup cover, or am I misinterpreting what I see in that other video that B T posted?

Comment

Here's a vid!
                  Thanks BigT

The "tree" at 3:32 , if thatīs what you call it, the piece which holds the string ball ends (we call it "tiracuerdas", literally string holder/puller) is real thick, over 2 mm (1/10th inch) , may be made out of flat sheet and that would be the normal way , but this one has those cast letters rising above the surface so it must certainly be cast.

A die would have to be multi part and complex (very expensive) to release the piece, so lost wax and ceramic paste casting is the way to go, specially in small quantities.
                  Not sure but I guess the English word is "investment casting".

FWIW itīs how Ruger revolvers and pistols are made.

The jack holder at 3:36 is made out of thinner sheet metal , less than 1 mm thick (18 or 20 Ga?) , being so "artistic" shaped I guess it was not punched but cut from sheet with a saw. (coping saw??)

The pickup covers at 3:40 "look" thick and might be cast, they could even cast a rough shape and then CNC finish it, definitely on the inside; outside can be heavily sanded and polished so as to kill all machining marks and scratches/roughness.

The brass strips holding the pegs at 3:46 are definitely cut/stamped from sheet metal.

At 3:47 the pickup covers do not look cast and machined at all ; if they were so the surface would be perfectly flat; a stamped one hardly so, and reflection shows itīs not.

Loved the guitar finish and sound

EDIT: simulposted with the casting video, now things are clear.
                  Thanks for posting
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; 08-30-2016, 09:00 PM.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                    Anyone want a 'Baby Byrd'? Maybe a 'Junior Jag'?
                    I'd be willing to test drive a 5-string Jr. Jag prototype (in surf green).
                    Something like shown here....
                    Gallery of mandolins by Almuse
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                      Is there more than one type of pickup cover, or am I misinterpreting what I see in that other video that B T posted?
                      They give you the choice of P90 or Humbucker style pickups- so I assume two types of pickup covers.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        being so "artistic" shaped I guess it was not punched but cut from sheet with a saw. (coping saw??)
                        Jewelers call it a "jeweler's saw". Basically the same tool- accommodates very thin blades.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by John Kolbeck View Post
                          As an aside, I don't think eddy currents kill all high end, or are perceived as doing so, so long as the pickup in question has a high resonant peak. Filter'trons are a perfect example of this. Tons of eddy losses, still extremely clear.
                          As an aside, what about the Filtertron design produces tons of eddy losses?
                          The H-covers are specifically designed to prevent eddy currents.
                          http://ratcliffe.co.za/sundry/filtertron/patent.pdf
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

As an aside, what about the Filtertron design produces tons of eddy losses?
                            The H-covers are specifically designed to prevent eddy currents.
                            http://ratcliffe.co.za/sundry/filtertron/patent.pdf
                            In the patent, I see discussion of reducing eddy currents in the top of the cover, but maybe the sides are still an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              The "tree" at 3:32 , if thatīs what you call it, the piece which holds the string ball ends...
                              A short ride on a bumpy road jarred loose "tail piece" as the proper English name for it. I still think "string tree" means something, just can't remember what.

edit: looked it up :facepalm: the 'trees' help hold the strings firmly down over the guitar's nut.
                              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications, a Dictionary is fine but everyday use can be completely different, plus each Tech area has its own jargon.
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X