Single coils and Humbucking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coils and Humbucking...

I wound 2 Single coils to put in the bass I made, I want them to be humbucking "Wired like a jazz bass". I wound the neck pickup counterclockwise when looking at the top, and the bridge pickup clockwise when looking from the top, then I charged the neck pickup's magnets to north polarity and bridge pickup's magnets to south polarity.

My question is.. if I want them to be humbucking they need to be out of phase in both magnetic polarity and electrical polarity, right? So when I wire them into my bass would I use the end of both coils as the hot and the start of the coils as the ground? Start meaning the inside wraps of the coils, and end meaning outside wraps. Or would I use the start of one coil and the end of the other as the hots? Remember I did RWRP on one coil.

I'm confusing myself greatly, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Here is a diagram of how the pickups are wound/charged, forgive the poor paint skills.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Aka Nameless; 09-28-2007, 06:43 PM.

If you wound the coils in opposite directions, than you would wire them up in phase. So if you have the start as ground, do that on both pickups.

When you wind two coils in the same direction you wire them up out of phase.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks Dave.

It all makes sense now.

Comment

Yeah it can make your head hurt... but just think of it as you wound them out of phase.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X