loose windings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose windings

Keep getting the same result. Early on when winding, I get the under-wraps starting to get pinched out from the outer-wraps. And it is always in the exact same spot on the coil. I start over if it doesn't go away by the 1000 mark

I am trying to wind some HB bobbins with 43 Awg. I put the bottom of the bobbin on the arm of my winder. I tape my ground end of the coil to the arm too. I then wrap about 10 wraps before starting the winder. I try not to pile up those 10 winds on top of of each other. I then start the winder. I have tried all sorts of different tension, and speeds (both winding speed, and how fast I cross the coil per layer). From the bottom of the bobbin (the side i start at) is where I always get the clumping of loose wraps. I have sanded and polished my guide arm, and that doesn't help either.

Am I winding too tight? Is my bulk of 43AWG wound too tight, and not coming off well or what?

I think I found part of it. The injection molding of the bobbins i am doing right now need more sanding off. I'm doing some 50mm's, and they seem to have a little dip by that last nib that gets left behind when they make them. The 53mm I did a few days ago were more consistent, or i was just more attentive.

Comment

must be guitar jones bobbins? Yeah you gotta sand off all the little flashing from the molding process. One thing that can do this also is winding too fast.....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Let up off the gas there speedracer. Your touch has'nt see the titanics coarse yet. Slow down, get comfy and adjust as time goes on......

Comment

Think I got it

First, I put more attention into smoothing out the corner inside the bobbin, to make sure it was a flat cylinder in there.

That did most of it. The last bit was moving my limiter in. I'm still in between watching the coil, and watching the wire go between the limiters. I wasn't setting it outside the bottom of my bobbin, just to the point were wire would clump up.

Comment

Yep, was going to suggest moving the limiter in a tad more, this way the windings will have a more natural roll off in the spot where they need to be.

Comment

Working...
            X