Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan P90

Hi there

I have a Duncan Hot P90 in the neck position of my guitar, and am talking to a winder to make me a bridge pickup that will be RWRP with the Duncan neck. Anyone have any idea of the polarity and winding direction of the Duncan so I can make sure to get it RWRP? I am kinda clueless, I searched the duncan site to little avail, all I got was top coming or top going, which makes no sense at all!

Many thanks in advance!
    ER

Look at the black and I guess white wires that are attached to the pickup, whatever side the black wire is on should be the start of the wind. Your winder should be able to figure it out with that info. Also if you have a compass hold it to the top of the pole screws, if the compass points to north, then it is south up polarity and visa versa if it points to south. Hope this helps.

Comment

You can find out the magnet polarity using a compass.

Wind direction makes no difference. As long as the magnets are opposite, you just need to wire the two pickups up so they are in phase, then they will noise cancel. You don't need to wind them opposite to make it work as long as the magnet is opposite. For instance, Gibson winds both coils in a humbucker in the same direction. Then they wire them out of phase.

Have your pickup maker use a 2 conductor plus braided shield wire, then you can flip it if they are out of phase (thin and hollow sounding).
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

alright, I think I kinda get it. Make sure the polarity is opposite is the big thing. I think I have a compass lying around somewhere!
        Now the guy I am talking to only has 1 conductor braid wire, so I would then have to attach the braid to hot if it is incorrect I assume. Or should I look to a builder that uses the 2 conductor?
        Confusing stuff! Thanks again!

ER

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Wind direction makes no difference. As long as the magnets are opposite, you just need to wire the two pickups up so they are in phase, then they will noise cancel.
          True. Wind direction and current flow are two different things, and phasing issues are about current direction, which you can easily reverse by reversing the hot and ground leads. Just make sure the baseplate is connected to the "new" ground lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
            Just make sure the baseplate is connected to the "new" ground lead.
            Very important! And better yet, use a two conductor plus shield cable, and connect the base plate to the shield or drain wire, and run the pickup coil out separately. Twisted pair wire is better still.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X