Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does hand winding mean hand on the wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you do a search on youtube, there are countless videos that give ideas and how to get started.
    Also if you search on this forum there are lots of threads, on How-To.
    We have a Beginner/Hobbyist Forum that has lots of info and resources.
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/...inner-hobbyist
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• I use 400 grit sandpaper to remove the insulation. A couple swipes and it takes it down to the wire. Then twist together, and solder. It is good to wrap it in a tiny piece of paper tape so no solder wears into the insulation of wire around it.

You really want to eliminate as much tension as you can. Your fingers should guiding, not tensioning the wire. I noticed some of the old timers at the factories would put a piece of paper tape or band aids on the tips of their fingers to reduce the tension created by the wire dragging across their skin. I have to do that on some days. When you get the tension right, you wont be snapping mid winding anymore.

And for pickups not working..before winding go over every surface in the coil area with a piece of sandpaper. If it is a Fender style pickup, slightly clean the edges of the fiber, make sure nothing is raised up by the eyelets, make sure no sharp surfaces are in the wire path. Lay down a base of paper tape on the magnets to be safe. Paper tape will also protect the coil from from future rust on the magnets damage old Fender pickups are prone to.

On humbucker bobbins, sand and file any sharp molding lines in the coil area.

Comment

• I don't think you want to eliminate all tension with your fingers. That means all tension has to be applied before your fingers. I think doing it that way increases the chance of breakage. Set some tension after the spool and the rest with your fingers. Get some callisus from playing guitar.

Comment

• Tension comes from my hand / fingers. Since I wind with a sewing machine I have to keep things simple and basic. Seems to be working out ok since so far it's the only way I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by mozz View Post
            I don't think you want to eliminate all tension with your fingers. That means all tension has to be applied before your fingers. I think doing it that way increases the chance of breakage. Set some tension after the spool and the rest with your fingers. Get some callisus from playing guitar.
            If you are using a winder that doesn't allow you to adjust the torque, you want minimal tension created by your fingers. The factory windings are very loose. The only machine I have where I don't have to worry about it is designed so there is very little torque applied to the bobbin. I can stop the bobbin by gripping the wire tight. That is why in the old hand winding days the machines were powered by elastics and not V belts. They wanted just enough tension to lay the wind down in place, no more. And the added benefit was if an employee was overzealous and gripped the wire hard, it wouldn't snap. It would just slow down or stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post

If you are using a winder that doesn't allow you to adjust the torque, you want minimal tension created by your fingers. The factory windings are very loose. The only machine I have where I don't have to worry about it is designed so there is very little torque applied to the bobbin. I can stop the bobbin by gripping the wire tight. That is why in the old hand winding days the machines were powered by elastics and not V belts. They wanted just enough tension to lay the wind down in place, no more. And the added benefit was if an employee was overzealous and gripped the wire hard, it wouldn't snap. It would just slow down or stop.
              Would the tightness of the coil be a result of wax potting after the winding is done?

Comment

• How would you adjust the torque? You are talking about a tensioner after the spool. I can't say i've seen a factory pickup wound loose.

Comment

Working...
                X