P90 construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90 construction

I bought some dog-ear parts from GJ. The way things line up it appears that the magnets, and keeper go underneath the baseplate. If this is the case, is it common to superglue or epoxy them in place? I don't have an example to copy, and all of the pictures/drawings I've seen show different.

the magnets should be sandwiched between the bobbin and baseplate.

Comment

I had a 1960 Gibson ES-330TD with chrome dogears... they didn't have baseplates, the pickup was held in place by the covers.
      Last edited by David Schwab; 11-25-2007, 01:15 AM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

got an ancient Dog ear sitting here John and that is as the good Doctor said magnets between baseplate and bobbin.

Comment

You can use a bit of rubber contact cement to hold them. They'll peel off if the need arises.

Comment

Dr. Guitar "the magnets should be sandwiched between the bobbin and baseplate."

So I thought.... I bought the parts a while back, and put them away. It was only when I checked them out carefully today that I discovered that things didn't fit very well. The picture shows the margin between the baseplate, and cover. If I remove the magnets, and keeper it fits perfectly over the bobbin. The bobbin is .415" The cover is .325 deep. The offset in the baseplate is .125 It seems my easiest option is to re-bend the ears on the baseplates to make things line up.

jonson "got an ancient Dog ear sitting here John and that is as the good Doctor said magnets between baseplate and bobbin."

I'm thinking about making a couple old school bobbins. I bought enough parts to experiment a little. Do you know what the dimensions of the coil form are?

Thanks all for the replies.
            Attached Files

Comment

About as old scool as you will get John. Bobbin length 3.00in Width 1.118 Height .375 Coil space height .235. No ears on base plate and Spence style vacume formed cover. All iv'e read gives bobbin centre as .250 x.250 so this bugger has shrink or was undersized to start with.
              Attached Files

Comment

Man that's an old pickup! Is that the brown clover like they used on the first basses?

What year is that pickup?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

No it's black late 40s ES175 which I removed for a "guy" and made a Charlie Christian clone about 20 odd years ago. Still kicking myself for the 57 Birdland I had with a pair of humbuckers on it that the bobbins were handmade and cut out with a pair of scissors or snips and sold years ago. Now Iv'e a good idea what they really were.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                    Still kicking myself for the 57 Birdland I had with a pair of humbuckers on it that the bobbins were handmade and cut out with a pair of scissors or snips and sold years ago. Now Iv'e a good idea what they really were.
                    Wow.. Probably made by Mr. Lover himself.

Yeah... I had some early patent decal humbuckers... probably from about 1960. They'd be worth something now. But at the time they were just some "old" pickups no one wanted, and something for me to experiment on.

Other pickups I have "mangled" over the years is a '72 P bass and a set of early 70's P-90's...

I'm glad I resisted the urge to paint my '72 Mustang like Adrian Belew's.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                      About as old scool as you will get John. Bobbin length 3.00in Width 1.118 Height .375 Coil space height .235. No ears on base plate and Spence style vacume formed cover. All iv'e read gives bobbin centre as .250 x.250 so this bugger has shrink or was undersized to start with.
                      That's old school cool for sure. Things definitely have evolved. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I finished the guitar, and loaded up my first effort. The bobbin distorted more than anything I've wound previously, but luckily still fit under the cover. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it sounds great. When I get some different wire I'll build another, but for the time being I'm pleased.

Thanks everyone for the help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pretty guitar, can I have it? Yeah you wound it too tight but at least it won't be very microphonic, but microphonics are a good thing in my opinion for real P90 tones....
                          http://www.SDpickups.com
                          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                            Pretty guitar, can I have it? Yeah you wound it too tight but at least it won't be very microphonic, but microphonics are a good thing in my opinion for real P90 tones....
                            Thanks.. Will you be needing a case for that too?

It's surely a little too tight. I'll have to slack off my tension a little next time. Are most P90 bobbins that flimsy? I bought these from GJ.

Comment

That's a real nice LP Jr!

Is it solid maple?

Check this out:

My partner made it... korina body, figured red oak top, poplar neck, and rosewood board. It has a nice singing tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X