My flatwork isn't flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My flatwork isn't flat

I ordered some flatwork from Stew-Mac last week. When I got it, it was okay, not perfect. After sitting on my desk over the weekend, a couple of corners are curling up.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of clamping them between some plexi pieces, but I'm worried that it's going to curl after I make some pick ups.

No Choices

Unfortunately the flatwork is manufactured from a huge Roll of forbon. The stuff could have been from the inner part of the roll which has a smaller radius than the part that can come from the outside of the roll. Unfortunately you have no control over that. Putting in a vice should work however don't clamp too hard and smash your eyelets.

Comment

I have the 6x6 squares. Not pre cut stuff.

Comment

Still

It still comes from the same rolls. They are going to have a natural curve to them because they are rolled immediately after they are pressed.

Comment

Sheets

The sheets I buy are about 4ft x 8ft and they have a slight curve to them.

Comment

I'm wondering if applying steam to it and pressing it for a length of time would cure the curling? Sort of like pressing a dress shirt. I was thinking of one of those hand held steamers that they've advertised on TV as well as what custom drapery folks use.

I'm about to get some myself from SM, so that is good to know.
            www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Manufacturing

It's manufactured not by heat but by chemical baths... steaming it may work however would be experimental. Let us know how it works if it does.....

Comment

I buy mine in 1800 x 900mm sheets , it's fine whilst it's dry , get some moisture in the air and it curls , I keep all my flatwork in waterproof containers and it stays flat... , I would suggest not steaming it..

Mick

Comment

Also after assembly when it is all flat and straight, dip the complete pickup in lacquer and let dry completely. I find it makes the bobbin more ridgid and does not turn up the edges as easily when winding with a tighter tension. Just my 02. cents worth.

Comment

you could try the board trick and lightly dampen the concave side and place the convex side face up in the sun or under a low wattage lamp for a while and stop when it has dropped to the flat position. Works with mdf and most wood composit boards.

Comment

Actually you can iron it flat with a steam iron and then place some heavy weights on it.
                      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                        Actually you can iron it flat with a steam iron and then place some heavy weights on it.
                        I was actually going to say that but i thought folks would think it was silly.

If it works....It works!!!
                        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                          Neat trick Spence not thought of that, yet am always ironing veneer flat. Hope you meant the forbon and not my mdf as I think an 8x4 30mm sheet of that would be a bit difficult. Off to make a set of Gibbo boomerang bobbins now so do you recommend the Sandwich toaster or the Forman grill

Comment

I used to throw away those boomerang pickups but they kept coming back.

You can't use a George Forman grill or a sandwich toaster for those. You have to use an aboriginal earth oven.
                            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I just cut the parts out and then bend 'em straight by hand after that :-)
                              http://www.SDpickups.com
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                              X