Determining a short with an LCR meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
    cool. can't wait to hear the results david.
    Here's the pickup, in series and parallel, and buffered. Excuse the sloppy playing... The pickup wasn't shielded either, so it's a bit buzzy. It sounds nice passive also.

The guy wanted a very bright pickup ... I think this is pretty bright!

Series (12.17K)

Parallel (6.08K)

(David King... look, high Z pickups! )

I wound the two coils differently (as stated in my previous post). It uses two neo magnets.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Here's the pickup, in series and parallel, and buffered. Excuse the sloppy playing... The pickup wasn't shielded either, so it's a bit buzzy. It sounds nice passive also.

The guy wanted a very bright pickup ... I think this is pretty bright!

Series (12.17K)

Parallel (6.08K)

(David King... look, high Z pickups! )

I wound the two coils differently (as stated in my previous post). It uses two neo magnets.

Sounds good david. You can definitely hear the difference between the two. I think i like the lower output one in parallel. clearer more defined. The higher output one is a little grittier.
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
        Sounds good david. You can definitely hear the difference between the two. I think i like the lower output one in parallel. clearer more defined. The higher output one is a little grittier.
        Thanks! It's the same pickup... just in series and parallel.

Neos really have a growl to them. I wouldn't be surprised if the steel cores are getting saturated. I can actually stick the pickup, out of it's case, onto my refrigerator door, and pull it open! Doesn't seem to affect the vibration of the bass strings though. Unless you get really close.

I like this a little better... This was the original bridge pickup

But he wanted it brighter. The same pickup, would a little hotter was used for the neck. (I wind my bridge hotter, but that's not what he wanted)

This is the neck pickup

And for yet another tone, here's the neck pickup from the set at the bridge location.

It's amazing what a slightly different number of turns will do.

I had a lot of fun doing this project. Gave me an excuse to rewind the pickup a few times.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          They've been discontinued but you might still find some...
          Where did you hear that the Extech 380193 LCR meter was discontinued? I just called Extech and asked. Their reaction was mystification, and they said that there are plenty of units in the supply pipeline.

For instance, Test Instrument Depot (who I have bought stuff from) has them: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ex...ers/380193.htm.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was on their website, if not it was on a commercial shopping site, that was probably 7 months ago and probably a test instrument website, it wasn't a rumor thing.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              I'm pretty sure it was on their website, if not it was on a commercial shopping site, that was probably 7 months ago and probably a test instrument website, it wasn't a rumor thing.
              OK. Seems to have been a false alarm.

I have had salesmen tell me that whatever I had asked for was no longer made, the intent being to steer me to whatever the salesman happened to be selling.

Comment

Working...
              X