Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonal Comparison Between PE and Formvar

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me clarify the main tonal differences between using Formvar or Plain Enamel. All I can gather is that Formvar seams to be a little smoother and less harsh or focused on the mids. However it could be psychological. Can anyone veryfy this? Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a thread that might help. Read it fast because these links seem to stop working after a short while. I guess it's because of info being moved around on the server.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ire+insulation
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

formvar

well are you talking HEAVY formvar or single build, there's a huge difference....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Big difference between heavy and single I understand. But is there big difference between heavy formvar and heavy PE??? From what I have read here earlier I got impression that they were not that different....

Comment

I am using heavy Formvar and Heavy PE on Strat pickups. I am trying to see which I like the best. However I don't really know. It might just come down to whichever is cheaper if there is no difference in sound. Either my mind is playing tricks on me or it really does sound different. I am hoping someone might know. Thanks for the link on the insulation. That does make more since to me.

Comment

Like, heavy

It seems like the sonic differences of insulations are less between the heavy builds.

-drh
            He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

What about single build? Is there a more noticeable difference there?

Comment

NO tonal difference between types of coating. Coatings in the 50s and 60s were inconsistence in build.

Comment

Heavy PE? I've never heard of that, are you talking poly/nylon heavy build?
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

MWS..
                    They show a list of different "Insulation Type", and when you choose one type you get a little list with "Insulation Build". Single, heavy, triple and quad. I´m too new in this pickupmaking game to know if this is something they actually do have. But if they do have both single AND heavy Formvar/PE.... will there be big differences?

Comment

mws

alot of what they show they don't have, I'd be curious to know if they have heavy build PE, let me know what you find out on that one...
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

No.

Hello!
                        Asked WMS
                        a month ago.And there was no heavy PE available.

Comment

No.

Hello,
                          I asked them a month ago and there was no heavy PE available.
                          Also asked them for 42.5 and 41 AWG Plain Enamel.No chance.
                          But is listed on the site.

Comment

Huh, I was told it was a heavy build. I wanted the heaviest insulation on the PE as possible. Both the PE and Formvar's total diameter is .073mm. I would at least say they are the same. However I can't but help think they sound different. Of coarse I did hand wind the coils, but I do have my own technique and consistency.

Comment

Maybe we should turn the question around...

In an imaginary world with imaginary heavy build PE and Formvar, what would the imaginary differences between two imaginary similar pickups be...

Comment

Working...
                              X