Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Does anyone have or know what the specs are on a strat Texas special middle PU, wind direction, polarity etc... I have to build one to match a Texas special bridge pu a customer has. I have never even had one come through my hands so I know zip about them and I don't think the fender website gives the details. Thanks for your help.

C'mon, nobody knows this info? Sam Lee Guy, how about you?

Comment

6.4K Ohms DCR and North up with a CCW wind.

Essentially, neck and middle have same DCR with the bridge at 7.4.
      I have seen these vary a little.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Spence always get there first! Even when Sam was milkman, Spence always just leaving as I arrive. Spence right too. Middle pickup north up, top right, top going, alnico 5. Reverse wind/porarity to neck and blidge pickups. Some early Texas specials have 42 wire on neck and middle and sound much better than the newer 43.
        Last edited by Sam Lee Guy; 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you Spence and Sam Lee Guy. So the older ones were 43 and the newer ones are 42 PE. I wonder when exactly the started using 42 and stopped the 43.

I guess I'll just wind it north up, top right going away with 42 PE and see what happens. If he has the 43 wire ones it may clean up the #2 and 4 positions. I heard they were quite muddy and the only usable tones were the bridge and neck but mostly the neck.

Comment

I think you got it backwards. The older ones were 42 and the newer ones were 43 according to Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
              north up, top right, top going
              Hmmm...maybe Sam Seymore?
              -Stan
              ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
              Stan Hinesley Pickups
              FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
                Hmmm...maybe Sam Seymore?
                heh heh... could you imagine?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by GlennW View Post
                  I think you got it backwards. The older ones were 42 and the newer ones were 43 according to Sam.
                  Yep, you be right!! That'll teach me to read while drinking Jack Daniels
                  just kidding, I do think I'm getting a tad dyslexic in my older years. Can that happen when you get older or is it a problem you have from a young age

Comment

FWIW, just as most humbuckers are screw-south/slug-north, Strat sets with most makers are neck and bridge south, middle north.

Comment

No, Sam just Sam, not Seymour. In fact Sam see less with age. Solly to disapoint.

Comment

ahaaaaa...

Yeah, who the hell uses top going anymore? Us modern weenies use clockwise and anti-clockwise, or peronally I use duckwise and duckstupid....
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I use 'fork hand' and 'spoon hand'. Takes all the stress out of it.
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

keep your fork away from my duck please...
                            http://www.SDpickups.com
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

How about chopsticks? Duck in pancake ...mmmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X