routing forbon...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing forbon...again

I'm having a terrible time trying to "balance" my laminate trimmer on my tiny bobbin forms (9/16" wide J Bass). Before I waste alot of time and mess alot of shit up, has anyone ever tried using a bearing router bit in a drill press with a jig to rout bobbins...kinda like an inverted router table? My guess is that the drill will probably be too slow and bog down but I just wanted to check to see if it has already been attempted.
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

I told my method of doing this before... here it is again.

Take a piece of plywood about a foot square. Make your pattern out of wood or what ever, and attach that to the plywood you just cut. Use a pattern bit with the bearing on the end of the bit, and make the pattern at least as tall as the bearing on the bit you will be using.

Make a large base for your trim router, and attach a small block of wood in each corner taller than the hight of your pattern, plus the material you will be cutting. Just adjust the size of everything so you can move around the pattern and the base of the router wont run off the work board.

Attach your forbon on top of the pattern with a couple of screws or double stick take. Adjust the bit so the bearing will ride on the pattern and cut your forbon.

With the router base your made it can't tip over.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Method I ocasionally use allthough may not aply to laminate trimmer is that most routers small and large come with a pair of steel rods to carry the fence.
      So I just have a couple of lengths of straight timber drilled to fit on the rods as ski's. One baseboard lots of patterns and just skim about everywhere holding the ski's not the router. Hands are now well away from everything.

Comment

Working...
      X