who supplied Gibson's wire for PAFs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who supplied Gibson's wire for PAFs?

Does anyone know who is/was Gibson's wire supplier(s) back in the day? In the Musician's Friend catalog, they tout that the wire in the pickups, in les pauls for example, is from the same supplier that supplied wire to Gibson for the original PAFs....wondering who it is?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

In the Seth Lover interview I believe he mentions Essex but said they used every major wire manufacturer also. Gibson though stopped using Plain Enamel magnet wire for Burst Buckers some time in 2004. Now they use poly tinted to look like Plain Enamel. So even if they are using the original supplier they are not even using the correct wire if we are talking about PAF style pickups. I suspect Gibson was using AWC when they were actually putting Plain Enamel in Burst Buckers. I have both the old Plain Enamel Burst Buckers 1 & 2 and the new Poly Burst Buckers 1 & 2 and the ones that use real Plain Enamel sound much better to my ears.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

cool.....

If they are saying that in the new catalog, it must mean that Essex is making PE again and we should be seeing it soon. It must be that stuff without benzene in the manufacturing process. Anyone know someone at Essex to get the scoop on this?
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

The MF catalog has been saying that for a while in the description of the Les Paul...I think it's describing the Burstbuckers which are featured in the Les Paul Standards....sorry i wasn't very clear on that.
        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

They're still using dyed Poly.
          I just rewound a brand new B.Bucker from a new LP purchase by a friend.

Comment

I guess Gibson got tired of inconsistent REA wire, or dealing with MWS or both
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              I guess Gibson got tired of inconsistent REA wire, or dealing with MWS or both
              I doubt that is the kind of thought that went into the decision to use tinted poly instead of PE. No it is probably the same reason that they charge more for a guitar that is not properly buffed by marketing it under the name VOS. Also the same reason they call a completely unbuffed and unsanded guitar "Faded". Also the same reason they encased a standard off the shelf mylar capacitor in an external Bumble Bee looking exterior and called it a reproduction of genuine vintage Bumble Bee caps. Also the same reason they describe Burst Buckers as using a more hand wound process when they are machine wound. The wire is just another episode in a pattern of boosting company profits through "marketing" and specification fudging. More short sighted corporate think. I'm not complaining though. It just leaves an opening for makers that can get the details right.
              Last edited by JGundry; 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM.
              They don't make them like they used to... We do.
              www.throbak.com
              Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Yes! Gibson is more interested in making very expensive guitars for collectors than just making the best guitar they can make. Then they do things like sell guitars right off the CNC router, with some stain wiped on, and charge almost as much as a sanded and painted guitar.

I guess they leave Epiphone to make guitars for normal working musicians. And they do even worst with those pickups and parts.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yes, Gibson not care. Could be true that they use the same supprier though. Some of the manufactuers of old Gibson wire are Essex, Hudson, Bridgeport, probabry every wire manufacturer, but maybe they all come from middleman who still sell wire to Gibson???

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
                    Yes, Gibson not care. Could be true that they use the same supprier though. Some of the manufactuers of old Gibson wire are Essex, Hudson, Bridgeport, probabry every wire manufacturer, but maybe they all come from middleman who still sell wire to Gibson???
                    Saum Wee, You onto someping! Wip fortune tookie in Miulk for santa!!

Comment

Working...
                    X