lower dc resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower dc resistance

hello,i was wondering if there is any way to lower the dc resistance on a overly hot pu its at about 14.5k and want to lower it to about 8k can it be done?

Without rewinding or dewinding the easy fix would be parallel coils giving you a weaker brighter sound and still humbucking. My choice, cut off one coil giving you slightly over 7K.

Comment

If you did de-wind it to about 8k, it wouldn't sound like the vintage 8k pickup tone you have in your head. It's wound with 43 wire which is thinner than the 42 wire they use in vintage-output humbuckers and unwinding it to 8k would make for a very thin, weak sounding pickup because the coil would be much smaller. The closest you could get would be to stop the unwinding somewhere in the 11k (5.5 per coil) range.

Comment

.....weirdness...

that pickup was DESIGNED to work at that number of winds, and its likely if you mess with it it won't sound any better. Probably worse. Then theres the high likelihood that you'll destroy it trying to change it. Once you break the coil start you're finished and so is the pickup. You'd be better off buying some no name old pickup off ebay in the range that you want, then you could change the magnets to mess with its tone.
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Or better yet, you could just have one of us make you one to your exact specs. Naturally I vote for me, but there's a lot of great winders in here so you can't go wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X