odd design idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd design idea

If i wind a humbucker (two coils) and then wind extra around both coils (coil 1-->coil 2 --> both) what should I expect as a result?

...more than single-coil, but less than humbucker.

...the outer coil (around both inner coils) would simply be a BIG-diameter single-coil, which would diminish the hum-cancelling ability of the two (assumed to balanced) opposing inner coils.
    ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

That's what I thought. I wonder if it would sound good? I might have to make one and see.

Comment

Humbucker with a common coil

If you wound a common coil around the two humbucking coils, the output of that common coil would be very little or be the same as if you reversed the phase of one of the humbucking coils, cancelling most output except that which is not common to each coil. The common winding has both a north and south pole magnetic field which would be mostly neutralizing any induced voltage.

You might get some interesting tonal changes with some frequency cancellation by playing with the phase of the common coil in relation to the phase of the humbucking coil set.

Give it a try.

Since you don't have enough room to put a lot of windings on the common coil, quickly try this.

Put one or two layers of AWG30 as the common coil. Connect this to an 8 ohm to 1000 ohm or higher miniature transformer. This will boost the relative number of turns of the common coil by the turns ratio of the transformer. Turns ratio is equal to the square root of the primary divided into the square root of the secondary (8 to 1000: 31/2.8 = 11.07) . Then mix the high impedance of the transformer output in series with the humbucking output in two phases to listen for any tonal changes.

If this produces nothing interesting, it saves a lot more wire winding to try out your idea.

Joseph J. Rogowski
        Last edited by bbsailor; 01-02-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X