Kynar tape around magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kynar tape around magnets?

I hear that kynar is thin and incredibly tough as an insulating material. It should be ideal for wrapping around magnets before winding.
    Is anyone here using it?
    Does anyone have a source for 1/2" wide tape.
    Thanks

Originally posted by David King View Post
    Does anyone have a source for 1/2" wide [kynar] tape.
    It is sold as a self-stick tape for protecting gold-plated fingers on printed circuit boards from wave soldering, so I would look into suppliers of soldering supplies.

Comment

Kapton tape source

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
      It is sold as a self-stick tape for protecting gold-plated fingers on printed circuit boards from wave soldering, so I would look into suppliers of soldering supplies.
      You may mean Kapton, and it is certainly very tough.

Kapton tapes are available from C.S.Hyde in widths appropriate
      for pickup building, namely 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4".

http://www.cshyde.com/tapecat.htm

I would guess that thinner is better since you want a winding
      as close as possible to the magnet.

-drh
      He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Ah yes Kapton, it certainly looks like the same stuff and they both have that handy 500º heat resistance for when the guitar catches fire mid-solo.

Price is right too. Thanks guys.

Comment

Teflon Plumbers Tape

Why not try Teflon plumbers tape available at any hardware store?
          It is very thin and has a dielectric constant near 2. I believe it is available in a0.5 inch width.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Comment

Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
            It is very thin and has a dielectric constant near 2. I believe it is available in a0.5 inch width.

Joseph J. Rogowski
            Someone here reported trying teflon tape with poor results, the wire apparently would tear the tape and short out on the magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
              Hello, sailor.

Under the pressure of several thousand windings of hair-thin wire,
              the teflon tape sometimes deforms and cuts through often enough
              to be a quality control issue.

-drh

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrangelove View Post
                Hello, sailor.
                You need a Mae West avatar now.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

US Plastics Corp Resources

A company called Unites States Plastics Corp has products that may help pickup makers improvise parts.

They have a 3/16" ID X 1/4" OD X 1/32" wall Teflon FEP Tubing at the following web link.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=58081

This tubing could be cut into individual lengths to match the pickup coil height, slipped over each magnet and provide a good, thin insulation layer.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    You need a Mae West avatar now.
                    Hey Strangelove: Is that a pickup in your pocket or do you want to make some music?

A little good humor is always welcome and is also a good ice cream.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Comment

I've looked at a lot of thin walled tubing options and none are thin enough in my opinion. The best I could do was .007" kynar heatshrink but that stuff costs an arm and a leg compared to this tape with is about 2 mils including the adhesive.

The tfe plumbers tape is most definitely not up to this task.

Kapton and kynar are trade names, I think polymide is the generic...

Comment

the tubing I don't think would work, its my opinion that where the wire shorts out is where the magnet meets the forbon, I could be wrong but in my experience if you glue the magnets in and have a fat fillet there it won't short out. Plain old cellophane tape works fine, Guitar Jones sells or at least used to sell some black cellophane type tape that I use, still have a bunch of rolls left from 5 years ago. Doesn't need to be anything exotic. There is also a yellow 3m tape used alot in the 70s that still exists for wrapping coils that would work too, I see it on Ebay now and then....
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Well it's supposed to work but I just got a set of pickups installed, now cast in epoxy, where it apparently didn't... I didn't wind them but someone did them for me as a favor and much to my surprise two of the four coils were grounded out despite glue fillets and cellophane tape...

Comment

I wonder what kind of tape the Guitar Jones stuff is, it sure works, I can't find anything similar online right off the bat, my stash is getting old too, I'll ask if he still carries it.....
                            http://www.SDpickups.com
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                              I've looked at a lot of thin walled tubing options and none are thin enough in my opinion. The best I could do was .007" kynar heatshrink but that stuff costs an arm and a leg compared to this tape with is about 2 mils including the adhesive.
                              Kynar is also used in piezoelectric contact microphones.
                              Unless you wind on the tight side,
                              it may be a source of microphonic noise.

Kapton is your friend.
                              Nevermind about calling it polyimide film.
                              All polyimide resin feedstock comes from the same US vendor.

For the moment, polyimide == Kapton in the same manner
                              that polytetrafluoethylene (PTFE) was Teflon until the patent expired.

-drh

Comment

Working...
                              X