No announcement yet.

Lipstick Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could have a noticeable difference, the height of the coil bobbin is probably shorter than the hand wound magnets, that and clearance from the magnet make fatter coils so the modern ones would sound warmer, coil geometry is design tool #1. I've never had anyone request these pickups so never did any reverse engineering on them, the real vintage Dano guitar I heard was extremely bright, but played thru a Dano amp it worked pretty well....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

My custom shop Duncans in my Dano are made like the old ones, wire wound on magnet, uses vintage correct alnico 6 magnet, etc. They sound great! They are bright pickups, but no brighter than a Strat...in fact they aren't as glassy as a Strat. I like them a lot...its my favorite guitar to just pick up and play...neck is comfy, guitar plays nice, etc.

I can bring it over next time if you want so you can check it out....

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        It could have a noticeable difference, the height of the coil bobbin is probably shorter than the hand wound magnets, that and clearance from the magnet make fatter coils so the modern ones would sound warmer, coil geometry is design tool #1. I've never had anyone request these pickups so never did any reverse engineering on them, the real vintage Dano guitar I heard was extremely bright, but played thru a Dano amp it worked pretty well....
        The wall thickness of the bobbin is about equal to the tape wrapped around the magnet. Bobbins are not very thick. I used to wind right on steel blades, and now I use bobbins. The pickups sound exactly the same.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X