I'm stumped ... WTFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stumped ... WTFO?

In finishing my latest batch of pickups (humbuckers) I had something peculiar crop up. On 2 of the 12, when I put the DVM on them to read the resistance on the final assembly the resistance starts lower than it should and slowly rises to a value near but not quite what it should be - almost as if there's a capacitor charging inside. One is an 8.25k that starts reading at about 8.13 and rises to about 8.21-8.22k. The other is a 7.7k that starts at about 7.3k and rises to about 7.66k. Here's the freaky thing. I rewound one of them, replaced the 2-conductor braided hookup, and it does the same thing. The other 10 pickups don't do this (some are 4 conductor and some are 2 conductor).

I take measurements many times along the way on the individual coils (resistance, inductance, etc.) and also on the final assembly to tell me if something has gone off during the build. When I pulled the pickups apart, the coils measured fine - when I reassembled them - the reading did the same thing. I was near the end of a spool, but wound several coils after these that don't seem to exhibit the phenomenon. I even replaced the hookup wire on both, but I can help but feel the problem lies there somehow.

I had them boxed to ship but I just couldn't do it so I've rewound the coils again and will finish the new set tomorrow. I've never had this happen in thousands of pickups - at least not that I recall. The only thing I can think of is an odd lot of hookup from StewMac. I buy the pre-cut 16" pieces, and pull them out of the box at random.

Hopefully it "disappears" with this rebuild. This kind of thing really sets my schedule back. Any ideas?

I'm with you, I'm thinking the hookup wire maybe even the braided wire. Or do you mean the braided wire as hookup wire... Thats my thinking anyway

Comment

battery...

check the battery in your multimeter?
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        check the battery in your multimeter?
        I thought of that and actually had myself convince that had to be it but a new battery didn't make any difference. I was prepared to buy a new DVM. Heck, maybe I will anyway if it happens again with the new set tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
          I'm with you, I'm thinking the hookup wire maybe even the braided wire. Or do you mean the braided wire as hookup wire... Thats my thinking anyway
          Yes. I meant the braided wire. I don't know what the capacitance per foot of the stuff is - I never really thought about it to tell you the truth. I thought maybe I'd kept the heat on it too long soldering to the frame, leached flux into the fabric - I dunno, done something to cause a patch for current. Hard to imagine that 4 different wires would result in the same thing, but what I'm using is from a recent order so I guess it's the first time for this batch of hookup and maybe some of the lengths used (randomly) on the other pickups came from an earlier ordered batch.

Scuffed coil wire?

Comment

You might borrow a different meter for sanity's sake. My radio shack meter is totally erratic, some days it won't measure anything over 500 ohms -other days it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              You might borrow a different meter for sanity's sake. My radio shack meter is totally erratic, some days it won't measure anything over 500 ohms -other days it's fine.
              Maybe you guys are right. I was thinking meter too for awhile. No place around here to score a really nice one quick and I need to get these doggone pickups shipped.

Comment

I wonder if the voltage from the meter is heating the coil up?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

What sort of non-adjustable coil are you using? On some the poles can get very close to the inside winds which connect to the hot output and the poles are of course grounded to the base via the magnet.

Comment

Anyway, I wound up a new pair of pickups and dug deep in the box for some older hookup wire and they measure out fine without the sort of "charging capacitor" effect. They're out the door and on the way, but I'm thinking about swapping the braid out on one of these for some 4-conductor to see what happens. It doesn't seem to be the meter at this point (wish it was).

Comment

Working...
                    X