Fender Widerange Humbucker repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Widerange Humbucker repair

I was told by a non-expert that they thought this wouldn't work but I think it should work fine... though I'm also a non-expert FWIW

I have a vintage Fender Widerange pickup that's been dismantled and turned into a single coil for some inexplicable reason (see image here). Could I use this one coil to potentially replace a bad coil on another weak widerange pickup even if it wasn't the same coil that was damaged? It seems I could just flip it around and make sure the pole piece/magnets were oriented with the proper polarity and I'd be good togo. Does it not work this way?

Transplanting the coil should work fine. Those polepieces on the converted pickup don't look like the original Cunife ones. Monkeybusiness!

Comment

They are the original ones, they were just all oriented to have slotted side down for some reason. It reads strong but it didn't sound very good when I tested it in a guitar so it may not be phasing properly so I need to check them to make sure the polarities are ok. Of course if they are, a potentially repaired pickup is probably going to look funny with no threaded poles showing through the cover.

Comment

Should work, but I would rather repair the damaged pickup that change one of the coils. If you do use the spare coil, just unscrew all the poles, wire the coil in, then test the polarity of the magnets against the other coil and re-inset the poles the right way (opposite polarity to the other coil).

Comment

Thanks for the reply! That's what I though too, just the magnets to the opposite polarity of the other coil and I'm good to go. Someone told me otherwise though so I wanted to double check. I am curious what your reasoning is on repairing the other coil is though. It seems to me it would be better to maintain some originality over exposing a coil to a rewind but maybe there's a better reason for doing it the other way.

Comment

Of course you have to make sure it's also wired the right way, which you can see from the original since these coils are all wound the same way. I just thought the original coil may have an easy fix like a dry solder joint. It would be unusual to need a complete rewind. Even if it did, by weighing the wire that came off it, and using the same size/ type/ amount of wire the tone of the pickup will be preserved as best as possible but the replacement coil, may already have the right amount of wire.

Comment

Got one for repairs today

Hello all,
              a customer had send me one wide range pickup for rewind,
              how many turn and wich wire will I have to use ?
              thanks
              david

Comment

According to the factory blueprint,p 61 Duchossoir Tele book, each coil should read a DC resistance of 5300 ohms. Duchossoir makes this 5000 turns of 42 AWG wire counterclockwise looking from top. To me that doesn't make sense and should be 43 wire. For rewinding, however, they sound best with 42 PE wire.

Comment

Working...
                X