Is it an A8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it an A8?

I have some magnets i bought from RS Guitar works. They list that they have A4 magnets, however, some that I have look different. 2 of them have A2 written on them, and another A8. The A8 one looks kind of sparkley, and has some small ridges going the length of the bar. The 2 surfaces that would contact the slugs and keeper bar in a humbucker are polished smooth.

I ask here, because if they mistakenly gave me something other than A4's, I assume they won't know what i am talking about.

The A8 I have is smooth but greyish looking ( kind of un-polished) rather than shiny. I don't know if that's standard though.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Sound like a sintered magnet - looks almost like wood grain? For vintage sound Alnico should be individually cast.

Comment

All the A8's I've seen are dark gray on top and bottom and shiny on the sides. Don't know why.

Comment

Zap it with a magnet charger. A8 should measure about twice the Gauss of A4 or A2 fully charged. I have both rough and machine finished A8 - both of course machined on the poles.

Comment

Working...
          X