Fender wire and coil size...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender wire and coil size...

So Ive been looking over my Fender pickups, the 57/62s, the CS 69s, and my CS 60's out of my Time machine strat.

One thing thats pretty much the same on all of them, is that they have a small coil size.

But no matter how tight I wind mine, there aint no way I can get mine like that.

On top of that, theres loose windings hangin around the son of a bitches too. what the.

Makes me think they are using single build formvar or 43 gauge almost.

I mean, I know the thing is built up at the top of the bobbin in most cases, but still...

and its not the bottom flatwork size, its the same width...

just trying to figure out what they are doing these days. I know its a waste of time to most, but I actually like the sounds of my CS 60 pups. I think Possum said that single build formvar is quacky... well these certainly are...

does single build formvar wind the same size coil as a single build PE?

check the pics...

Looks right to me. Check the DC resistances when you get a chance.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

5.6k for the CS69 and 5.8k for the CS 60... which is about right I believe

Comment

Looks about right to me too. If you are getting the same resistance but your coils seem a lot fatter then maybe you are using more scatter or maybe your bobbins are not quit as tall. Just 1mm in bobbin hight makes a visible difference in the wire build.

Comment

Gotcha guys, yea Im actually using taller bobbins. 15/32" of space and the Fenders are about 29/64"

Guess its more scatter and less tension? They really must be able to wind them evenly. I unwound part of one, and there was 200 winds in a single pass almost right next to one another... hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by achase4u View Post
            I unwound part of one, and there was 200 winds in a single pass almost right next to one another... hmmmm
            Automated winding machines. People can't hand wind like that!
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

exactly. and they still sound pretty darn good to me...

maybe ive been thinking about scattering TOO much. maybe I'll get the right amount of scatter, if I just TRY to wind like the machines. you know what I mean?

Comment

You may want to slow down too. I see you have some stray laps near the bottom- This can cause microphony as well as added hum. Just thought I might add 2 cents worth. Slowing down a little will help with your turn count too.

Comment

Originally posted by achase4u View Post
                  Gotcha guys, yea Im actually using taller bobbins. 15/32" of space and the Fenders are about 29/64"
                  What are the "standard" bobbin dimensions?

Do they differ hugely from these:
                  Length: 2-1/4" (2.25)
                  Width: 3/16" (.1875)
                  height: 29/64" (.432)

Guess its more scatter and less tension? They really must be able to wind them evenly. I unwound part of one, and there was 200 winds in a single pass almost right next to one another... hmmmm
                  Please say it was #43 and not #42.

-drh
                  "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Well, those photos are of some Fender pickups. They do have alot of loose windings...

Mind almost never get those, so I spose Im lucky.

Comment

Those pickups, If original fenders look off to me. The magnets and they way the tops are ground look like the 69's and the wire color is a bit off as well, actually a lot off. Looks rewound to me..

Also the bottom PU looks like PE

Comment

why don't you measure the wire thickness, you'll need a micrometer that reads to 5 places...
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

The formvar pickup is out of my CS '60 - its definitely stock. They bevel those like that, and have formvar.

the bottom one is CS 69, which is plain enamel

I will try to get a hold of a micrometer and measure it -

Im curious as to what they sell as their "winding pattern" as they state in the catalog that they copied from around 1960.

The 69s and 60s are pretty much the opposite in tone.

The 60's are not scooped much, they are very warm and woody, kind of deep. Very smoothed over top end.

69s are REALLY scooped - lots of treble and very open and clear...

Id like to learn something from these things other than just listening to them...

the pickups Im making right now are in between. The formvar pickups Ive made so far are a little scooped for my taste, but I have yet to figure out how to manipulate that other than wire/magnets.

Comment

Working...
                          X