Toxic wire types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic wire types?

Just wondering if any of you guys ever read the toxicity about wire insulations and such. Can there be a toxic danger being in contact with different chemical insulations and such?

I have heard that Benzene is the chemical no longer used in PE manufacturing. I have a bunch of old AWC PE and the room I keep it in smells like old magic markers which would mean Benzene. Benzene is bad stuff. I don't keep that wire in the house. You probably would absorb some through your skin if you were hand guiding. How much, who knows, but no amount of Benzene will be good for you.

I am pretty careful about this sort of thing. I solder quite a bit and use an expensive fume extractor with a carbon filter. I don't even let the solder come in contact with my bare skin. It might seem over the top but safety is pretty important.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
      I have heard that Benzene is the chemical no longer used in PE manufacturing. I have a bunch of old AWC PE and the room I keep it in smells like old magic markers which would mean Benzene. Benzene is bad stuff. I don't keep that wire in the house. You probably would absorb some through your skin if you were hand guiding. How much, who knows, but no amount of Benzene will be good for you.

I am pretty careful about this sort of thing. I solder quite a bit and use an expensive fume extractor with a carbon filter. I don't even let the solder come in contact with my bare skin. It might seem over the top but safety is pretty important.
      I suspect that contact with Heavy Metal will eat your brain first.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
        I suspect that contact with Heavy Metal will eat your brain first.
        It will completely shred it.
        They don't make them like they used to... We do.
        www.throbak.com
        Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

LOL!! Perhaps an image change?? I listen to it all. Mainly Mr. ellis lately, and some captain beefheart. Been getting on the "old mans" vibe lately : )

Comment

We don't need no steenkin' wire

I have heard that Benzene is the chemical no longer used in PE manufacturing. I have a bunch of old AWC PE and the room I keep it in smells like old magic markers which would mean Benzene.
            Hmm.

It might also mean xylene or ethyl acetate, both of which, while smelly,
            are tolerable and not carcinogenic.

Still, it's only good sense to keep odorous things in their own room.

-drh
            "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I've did some conversations and apparently it will be labled differently, also there was no plan that they were going to stop producing Pe at all and is still readily available. I don't think we have to worry about that as much as the price increases and tolerances : )

Comment

Working...
              X