Single Coil start/finish wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coil start/finish wires

Is it necessary to secure the length of wire from the coil to the brass eyelets? How about for potted vs. non potted single coil pickups. One of my most recent single coils is microphonic at loud volumes. I potted this pickup and the windings were neat. Could vibrating start/finish wires be causing the microphonics. I have not read anything that adresses these wires in particular. For what it is worth this is the center pickup and it has no tone control cap. Thanks.

I too have never come accross anyone suspecting loose start and finish wires as the cause of microphonics. Do the start and finish wires have so much slack? But even if they do, IMO, the wax should have taken care of any slack after you have potted the pickup. There are other culprits to consider such as the mounting springs, etc. You may have to look somewhere else.

Comment

I will usually "paint" a layer of clear nail polish over the start and end wires

Comment

How long did you leave it in the pot?

But no, the wires coming out of the coil to the eyelets don't cause squeal.

Comment

Microphonic? You mean feeds back at high levels don't you? I've never seen a singlecoil that won't feedback at high volumes in the right situation. The hotter the pickup the more likely it is to happen.

Comment

Working...
          X