Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire ends on P90 plastic bobins ?

Hi,

I've been reading in this forum for some time now, here is my first post here (though I've been posting in the old forum some years ago, but i have put this all aside for a while and I am back to winding with a newly completed winder).

So my question:
    How do you deal with the wire ends on P90 plastic bobins ? I think eyelet is not a good idea since soldering on it would melt the bobin. Leaving the wire ends on their own doesn't look to good either...
    Any advice ?

Thanks!

Yves.
    www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

I use the same hook up wire I use for humbucker coils. 28 awg I think it is.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

The eyelets are fine, you just have to be swift at your soldering.

Comment

I leave some of the start of the coil on the outside of the bobbin then wind, I then do like you would with the finish end of the coil , solder and tape , then tape to the coil after first putting some tape against the windings for protection.. for 2 reasons..one you have mentioned , the other is that should something happen at the start of the coil you have the chance to repair without having to rewind the whole thing..just my way of course...

Mick

Comment

Thanks for your advices.

I finally used the method given by Mick: this allows for further tweaking on the bobin without having to heat again the eyelets for soldering / unsoldering (I believe that being swift on soldering would do the job as mentioned by Dr. Guitar, but in case of unsoldering I wonder how it would end up at the end of the day).

On the other hand, it looks less neat than with eyelets.

Another thing is that the flanges sligthly warps in the outer edges of the coil. I believe this may be (added with the possible melting problem if eyelets are used) a second reason to do my own bobins out of Forbon ... but that's another story then like sourcing Forbon in reasonable quantity and so on ...
          www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

Real P-90's have hookup wires, not eyelets. But who really sees the eyelets anyway?
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X