Left pickups in potting for 2 hours - oops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left pickups in potting for 2 hours - oops

They didnt warp, but the wax was at least 250 degrees. They were smoking when I pulled them out.

As hard as Ive been busting my ass to get these things made well, I just think Im too much of a dumbass to make pickups.

So tell me, what most likely happened to them in this temperature and length of time in the wax? If they still read, and I recharge the magnets, will they be just fine?

Should be just fine, really. If the coil is still intact, and the magnets can be restored, you'll be ok.

Comment

if the plastic didn't warp, nothing happened to the pickup. I've left some in for almost three hours, but at about 170 (i think). They sound just fine.

The thing you should actually be worried about is starting a fire. Keep it down around 140.

Comment

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the wire sagged or something. in the middle of the coil at the top flatwork, I can see magnets ... so I will rewind.

Yea - I usually dont let it get above 150 or so. I just put it on high to melt the wax quicker, and since I forgot it, it climbed up to 250+

Good tips though. I guess I'll just use the same bottom flatwork, and cut the wire off, and replace the top flat work with a snug one.

Thanks

Comment

Fralin says in his video to keep them in until the bubbles stop (30mins to 1 hour) but that they sometimes let them "cook" all day

I usually let them go about 10-15 mins. I have accidentally gone an hour with no bad results.
          -Stan
          ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
          Stan Hinesley Pickups
          FaceBook

Comment

I think that is they are in there at 150 they would be ok. Mine was at like 260...

one thing I noticed was the wire sagged at the top, and I could see the magnets.

this makes me think the wire expanded and after it cooled along with the paraffin, it got loose???

I dunno...

but yea, Id use em if it was 150 for a couple hours...

I guess if I am planning on potting I should just leave it on low way ahead of time so I dont have to put it on high...

Comment

For potting I use one of the most fool proof things out there. A wax heater made for dilapitory (hair) removal. I think max temp is 180F. The container is about 4.5 " across and about 3" deep. You can drop in a set of strat pickups no problem. Thermostatically controlled, and you can leave it on all day. Probably about $40 on ebay. Of course, you can't be doing production runs with it.
              www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

That level of heat is not enough to do anything to the magnets. Certainly too close to fire though. With forbon it may warp, with plastic it WILL melt. Also, that much heat and length of time it is enough to break down glue joints etc if used.
                What I think you noted was the wire "relaxing". Basically, with that much heat, the coil wire will expand and all of the tighter winds will become looser and looser winds a bit tighter. It kind of "equalizes" the coil tension. The problem is with much scatter the wraps are actually almost all "loose" if allowed to shift position which many did when they relaxed.
                A new coil will actually "break in" over time for this same reason (coil tension equalizing) but shifting is kept to a minimum if correctly potted and taped. Excessive scatter is a common mistake because many think it's "the thing" that makes a handwound pickup special....it's only a small part.

Comment

Working...
                X