Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20th Century Guitar Magazine, bad blood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Century Guitar Magazine, bad blood?

I was going to run an ad in 20th Century Guitar magazine, got a price from them etc. then asked them what their circulation is compared to Vintage Guitar Magazine. They suddenly stopped answering any emails despite multiple attempts. Does anyone know if these guys have some kind of attitude about VG Magazine or something? Apparently now they don't want my money or my ad in their magazine because I advertise in VG. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is pretty weird; I tried all their email contact addresses and nada. I do remember Gerlad Weber bailing from VG after a dispute with them and is now with 20th C. Weirdnes.....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Thats just bad business any way you look at it!
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

Comment

When you are trying persistently to give someone money, and they won't take it, that's a bit odd. Its a good looking magazine, though, if the freebie issue I picked up at the NAMM show is any indication.

BTW Possum, those ol' Gibson buckers you did for me sound good, it just took me a while to put them in a guitar and give them a listen. Now all I have to do is restore the '69 SG they'll be going in.

Comment

My company has several ads in Vintage Guitar Magazine, 20th Century Guitar, Guitar Player Magazine, Premier Guitar, Bluegrass Unlimited, Music Trades, MMR, Fretboard Journal and a few others. (I am the marketing director and artist relations manager for a large musical instrument manufacturer.)

I have never found it a problem to advertise in competing magazines. In fact, I often get telephone calls from magazines soliciting ad space as a result of seeing our involvement in another.

After doing business with magazines for many years, I can say that I have had the opportunity to get to know the folks very well and I do not believe that they harbor such feelings or would treat a potential client in that way on purpose.

Perhaps there is some other reason for the lack of a return e-mail?

I'd suggest that you CALL your ad sales rep on the telephone in an effort to get this situation worked out. I am quite sure that a simple discussion would get the results you are looking for.

Good luck.
        Mandopicker

Comment

Face it Dave, they got wind of the fact that you've been pulled in by the Fashion Police a couple of times.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

More than a few times.
            Mandopicker

Comment

Well they are back East and they go home before I even get up, makes it difficult to exist in a "day" world sometimes, but it is really strange they would suddenly stop corresponding after I said the VG word. I do no know that Gerald Weber had a big falling out with the VG guys and bailed to take his column to 20th Century Guitar. If a publication is under the direction of one person its very easy for these kinds of grudges to exist. I'll try another contact email and see if I get any response. I emailed Gerald Weber to ask what the fluck is going on.....gotta go update my wardrobe...
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

sweetfinger....

thanks, was wondering if they worked out or not, glad they are back in action....
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

These days, it is extremely easy for things to just fall off the e-mail radar and get forgotten about. Person gets a cold for 2 days and BOOM the e-mail you sent them is three screens down in the stack. Happens to me all the time.

Comment

true but this is a commercial magazine they answered my first email immediately as any ad sales dept should. Maybe there are out doing shows who knows, I'll give it one last try. VG answers all emails immediately, personally I think they are a much better deal and have a bigger circulation plus they are on alot of newstands and 20th C isn't.
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

They should have their circulation listed in the magazine. I think they have to that, if not all the time, quarterly or something similar. You might find it out on their wesite also.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

In a biz like that where advertising is their sole source of income, I would think they should be all over your requests. Makes no sense to me

Comment

try an experiment.....

go to their website, tell them you are advertising in Vintage Guitar Magazine and want to expand your coverage by going in their magazine, I doubt you will get a response, I've now tried every single web form and all their email addresses. Their rate sheet has ONE guy's contact info on it and he probably owns the magazine, so you're dealing with one guy who hates Vintage Guitar Magazine obviously and doesn't want any of their customers in his shit hole magazine. I've been trying for about 3 weeks now, very politely I might add, they can kiss my ass, I'll just run bigger ads in VG if thats how they deal with customers :-)
                          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

from Gerald Weber...

I got this from Weber, not sure I believe it, how can their email be down, their website forms not working, its a bit much to believe:

Dear Dave,
                            I can assure you this is some kind of anomaly and is NOT what it appears to be. The guys at 20th Century Guitar are the greatest guys in the world. Their circulation is about 18,000 or so. VG has a circulation of 25,000 (so says Alan Greenwood).

The salesman at "20th Century Guitar magazine", Ray, is one of the hottest Jazz Players around NYC and the nicest person on earth and Larry Acunto, the owner and editor plays bass in the hottest Prog Rock Band on Long Island ( ELP, YES, etc.) and is the other nicest person on earth. These guys rock!
                            There must have been something askew with their email or some other explanation because they certainly have it together and are much more knowledgeable and much better to deal with than the guys at VG ( who can't play "chopsticks" without mispicking).
                            I suggest you give them a call at their toll-free number1-800-291-9687, and let them know you are a friend of mine.
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I realize that this was a private correspondence, but as a customer I'm always a bit leery of dealing with anyone who badmouths competition, in any line of business.

Comment

Working...
                              X