Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degaussing Alnico 5

Hello,

Anyone have advice for a starting point to slightly degauss Alnico 5 rod magnets. Just enough to take the edge off -perhaps to 900-1000 gauss. I know I could move a small Neo magnet above the alnico, but I have no idea how far away it should be. I'm basically looking for a somewhat predictable way to degauss without the aid of a Gaussmeter. Thanks!

you could just use a ceramic bar magnet and repel against the alnico rods, that will knock off about 10% or more. A really small neo would probably work, if its too strong you'll reverse the field of the rods....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Hello Ol´Mc D. !
      For controled degausing I use a AC electro magnetic field.
      Take a poleshoe from a Ac motor( old electric drill ect.: feed the coils with AC 20-30 volts with the alnico inside the poleshoe.The alternating magnetic field will degause your manets.For a better control I switch the voltage with a time regulated relais.I have good results with it and it is a verry fast procedre.You have full control and there is no degausing by aciedent.
      Have fun.

Comment

For buckers, I usually use an A8 to degauss the lower strength Alnico grades. I swipe it quickly across the poles but i use the same polarities of the mags (N and N poles vs. the opposing sides).

You can also do this while the pickup is in the guitar.
        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Electricdaveyboy how long do you usually put the alnico in the poleshoe? and how do you put the magents in to you have something they can rotate or just keep them stationary?

Comment

I use a time limit realias ,how long the degauseing will take depands on the coils you use,degausin takes experience time.

Yes they start to move,why hold them in place.

Comment

This is overkill for sure, but what about a plug-in demagnetizer held a number of inches away? Say 6" around the 17th fret for the neck pickup and just behind the bridge for the other? I'd prefer the passive neo-magnet but just wondering.

Comment

A reiteration of the previous post but...

Would something like a hand-held tape demagnetizer work? One of those AC plug-in types they sell at stereo shops?

If so, what would be the proper procedure (if this is possible) for something like Stratocaster pickups that are currently installed in the guitar?

Lastly, what effect does it have on the overall tone?

Comment

Alnico (de)gausses easily, so why just just play with it until the pup sounds right?

Comment

Working...
                  X