p90 noise, potting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p90 noise, potting?

I´ve been asked to make p90. But I had trouble with noise in my humbuckers. And I guess making 10.000 turns will squeal. Are p90 potted? The guy liked my humbucker and want me to make p90. But I´m conserned I might kill what he is looking for. A rawsounding, bright (and maybe with little noise) pickup. I´m thinking of just dipping it in a minute or so just to avoid the worst.

"A rawsounding, bright pickup."

Sounds like a P90 to me. What type of noise are we talking about. Interference from lights, transformers, TV set etc (50/60 Hz hum), or noise from thumping on the pickups? If its the first case potting will do nothing to hel´p reducing that. But if it is the second case then you will indeed reduce the noise by potting.

Comment

Yeah, I had problem with a strange sound from them humbuckers. But when I potted them properly they were quiet. But is this potting something you usually do to p90? I never seen inside one...

Comment

I've heard that since the 80's Gibson has been potting P-90's, but I don't know that first hand. I'm sure everyone else here knows. All the P-90's I ever had were from the 70's and they weren't potted.

Leslie West never got any squealing! Well not the bad kind anyway.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

loose coils, loose magnets, nickel covers can cause squeeling. Other electrical noiss could be 60 or 50 cycle hum, however if you're getting that in a humbucker it may be your mains supply that's got a slight earth problem. Potting wouldn't make interference noises go away.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

The strange sound on the humbucker came when I tapped the pickups, not
            because electromagnetic noise. I guessed my winding were the cause, but I see that it could be anything. I must secure that everything is tight.

Comment

Working...
            X