Speaking of winding direction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of winding direction...

I've wondered for years and never asked.

What does wound CW mean?

Does it mean that if the bobbin is still and the top is facing you the wire goes on in a cw direction?

or

Does it mean that the bobbin is rotating cw when the top is facing you? (This seems like the wire is wound ccw to me because the wire is going on ccw (anti-clockwise) while the winder spins cw, but I don't know how pickup makers look at it.)

My understanding is as you initially describe. Looking down at the top of the bobbin, it's as if you wound the wire on it by hand in clockwise fashion. This happens naturally if your winder mount is to your right as you face your winder and it spins counterclockwise. Since the start of the coil is on the inside, the wire ends as having been wrapped around the bobbin clockwise.

Seymour calls it "right facing/top coming", I believe. In other words, the plate/disc/jig that you mount the bobbins to is on your right as you sit at your winder and the top of the bobbin is coming toward you as it spins. You feed the wire to the bottom of the bobbin so it's loading on the bobbin clockwise. You also have right facing/top going, left facing top coming, and left facing/top going as options to consider.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I figured...wasn't sure.

Comment

Working...
      X