No announcement yet.

Real set of 53's here for potting - If you have questions on them I will answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real set of 53's here for potting - If you have questions on them I will answer

Figured I'd pass on some info - and answer questions on them for who may have a few? but i ship[ these out fri morn - so i apoligize for the short notice

we can't take this ( secret 50's stuff ) with us when we die- may as well share it,

a set of 53's came here for potting

the bridge is gaussing up to 550 max
    same with the neck 550 -- remagnitized both and they will not go to 650 -
    maybe this is that different magnet mixture - cobalt or ?? I dunno ~~
    the chrome neck cover is brass and thicker then todays.

then neck & Bridge was wound clockwise - but the magnets were north up on the bridge and south up on the neck ( out of phase from Fender)

the bridges lower forbon bobbin is .100 thousands thick - the top is .065 thousands of an inch
    also on the bottom - the mid section at the widest point is 1.510 & 2.870 end to end total height .725

wire 42 PE 6.96 bridge possible Alinco 3
    magnet dia .197 / height 6.30 to 6.40 area - cant tell for sure

the 3 6/32 clearance holes and the dead center top bobbin hole are all near .130 dia.

well there it goes --

FWIW the other day I realized something about LIFE - and asked myself how much cool - usable important guitar, gear & pickup knowledge has gone to the grave already?
    and how much do I want to not pass along and take with me - I realized I rather pass it all along - but we all have to EAT - so theres always going to be limits - but maybe the best thing to do was not be completely greedy with everything and pass bits and pieces along - and hopefully pass the rest on to family or someone worthy of carrying the torch if I do have such torch myself or will have??? -- theres my story ;-)
    --------------
    neck pup, 3.020 long / .800 widest - height with cover .690 wire 43 PE /ohms is 5.50k possibly AlNiCo 3 due to it not reach 600 gauss when charged up. magnet dia .187
    Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

Finally a real example of alnico 3 in old Fender stuff. They are there for potting? They AREN'T potted? Does it have the black string wrap?

5.5K 43 on neck? Do you have micrometer readings of that wire? Seems odd it would be that low with 43. Is the bobbin full or really small amount of wire there?
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Finally a real example of alnico 3 in old Fender stuff. They are there for potting? They AREN'T potted? Does it have the black string wrap?
      yep white string - black waxed - all were potted - just the base plate was loose /gapped - squeelin'

5.5K 43 on neck? Do you have micrometer readings of that wire? Seems odd it would be that low with 43. Is the bobbin full or really small amount of wire there?

yep 43' - also not uncommon under 6k out of 20 in the blackgaurd book 12 were under 6K one was even 4.9k - First thing I did was look at the bobbins size for two reasons - to see if it did not arc across and loose 1000 turns abd become a 5.5k - but its a skinny devil - so all is normal

Comment

Are all the magnets (bridge and neck) flush with the top of the Forbon?
        -Stan
        ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
        Stan Hinesley Pickups
        FaceBook

Comment

yeah they were all flush in that time.....actually the bridge ones were slightly sunk into the forbon, not flush with the top....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Pupoholic, my question, can I have them? Thank you for sharing knowledge. Velly important to know that knowledge and practice of equal importance.
            When Heifetz in New York, he ask cab driver "Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall?" and he reply "practice, practice, practice".
            My other question, is neck pickup potted?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
              Are all the magnets (bridge and neck) flush with the top of the Forbon?

all the ones i could see - save inside the cover - could not see those..

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
                Pupoholic, my question, can I have them? Thank you for sharing knowledge. Very important to know that knowledge and practice of equal importance.
                When Heifetz in New York, he ask cab driver "Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall?" and he reply "practice, practice, practice".
                My other question, is neck pickup potted?
                i don't want to say yes - cause I did not check it - but it was not lacquered - and it was not gunky with wax - but it may not have been it squealed - i potted it slightly aiming the wax between the cover and top of pup mostly - pouring out the excess ..

PS there shipped back as of this morn..

Comment

What's the deal with the 5mm magnets on the bridge pickup, or is there some corrosion that adds to the diameter? Just curious...I don't think much metric stuff was happening in America in 1953.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennW View Post
                    What's the deal with the 5mm magnets on the bridge pickup, or is there some corrosion that adds to the diameter? Just curious...I don't think much metric stuff was happening in America in 1953.
                    not unheard of in USA -- seems ".187 Rod Dia, was not yet standardized in the entire US Industry so .197's to .200's were being found" - this Info comes from Fenders own Alan Hamel & Fred Stuart's discovering that fact and trying to persuade Fender to increase the dia. .010 - but Fender felt the assembly fixtures may not take the extra .010 dia.. and refused -

Comment

Probably 0.1875"? That's 4.7625 mm. Pretty close. That's only .2375 mm, or 0.0093503937" less.

How where they measured?
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        Probably 0.1875"? That's 4.7625 mm. Pretty close. That's only .2375 mm, or 0.0093503937" less.

How where they measured?
                        3/16" = 0.1875"

5mm = 0.19685"

It seems strange to me because the larger ones aren't 13/64, 7/32 or anything American.

Comment

Originally posted by pupoholic View Post
                          Figured I'd pass on some info - and answer questions on them for who may have a few? but i ship[ these out fri morn - so i apoligize for the short notice

we can't take this ( secret 50's stuff ) with us when we die- may as well share it,

a set of 53's came here for potting

the bridge is gaussing up to 550 max
                          same with the neck 550 -- remagnitized both and they will not go to 650 -
                          maybe this is that different magnet mixture - cobalt or ?? I dunno ~~
                          the chrome neck cover is brass and thicker then todays.

then neck & Bridge was wound clockwise - but the magnets were north up on the bridge and south up on the neck ( out of phase from Fender)

the bridges lower forbon bobbin is .100 thousands thick - the top is .065 thousands of an inch
                          also on the bottom - the mid section at the widest point is 1.510 & 2.870 end to end total height .725

wire 42 PE 6.96 bridge possible Alinco 3
                          magnet dia .197 / height 6.30 to 6.40 area - cant tell for sure

the 3 6/32 clearance holes and the dead center top bobbin hole are all near .130 dia.

well there it goes --

FWIW the other day I realized something about LIFE - and asked myself how much cool - usable important guitar, gear & pickup knowledge has gone to the grave already?
                          and how much do I want to not pass along and take with me - I realized I rather pass it all along - but we all have to EAT - so theres always going to be limits - but maybe the best thing to do was not be completely greedy with everything and pass bits and pieces along - and hopefully pass the rest on to family or someone worthy of carrying the torch if I do have such torch myself or will have??? -- theres my story ;-)
                          --------------
                          neck pup, 3.020 long / .800 widest - height with cover .690 wire 43 PE /ohms is 5.50k possibly AlNiCo 3 due to it not reach 600 gauss when charged up. magnet dia .187

Thanks for sharing Don. I'm going to print this out and have it for reference when i start focusing on Tele and Strat pickups.
                          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I've already done that!
                            www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Magnet rods was cast to approx. 0.20" then ground to 0.187" In 40's and 50's grinding added much to cost and cheaper magnets were rougher and bigger, need I say more?

Comment

Working...
                              X