Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jasco's / Zipstrip to remove insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasco's / Zipstrip to remove insulation?

I was just curious if anyone has tried or uses paint stripper to soften/remove magnet wire enamel before soldering.

I try to limit the chemicals that i use/am exposed to. Fine 600 grit sandpaper works for me.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I can never get sandpaper to work... I just rip the end of the wire off. I use a butane lighter. Just a few quick passes is all it takes.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I don't use it but I have it on pretty good authority that Gibson used a strong acid flux paste. It does work, but I'd hate not to burn it all off and leave a residue to do it's worst over the years.

You can see on old Fenders that fed the wire through the eyelet and then rubbed off the insulation on the underside of the pickup only.

In both cases I use abrasive pads, the ones with a foam backer made by 3M. That way I find I break less wire!
        Bulldog Pickups

Matamp

Comment

I use 1200 sandpaper. Use about 15s on the job..

Comment

I use sandpaper too, but it does scuff the wire. You wouldn't have that issue with a lighter though.
            int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
            www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by mkat View Post
              You wouldn't have that issue with a lighter though.
              You have to be quick though, or you melt the wire. I notice that the Elektrasola wire I'm using now doesn't melt as easily as the stuff Stew-Mac sells.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

David,
                dont use any agressive chemicals on fine wire.
                Over the time there may be a reaction with the copper and the coil whould become dead.
                This happens to many old Hofner pickups because they used a solder with a agressive flux in it.
                Best is this a 'Wire scraper tweezer' like the 'Bernstein 5-181'
                Sorry i can't find a linkable picture of it.

I hope it helps you
                Hermann

Comment

Working...
                X