EMG pickups design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pickups design

Please what is basic design of EMG pickups (Humbucker). I mean how look like from inside. Does it have pole or winding directly around the magnet. Well i have several preamp circuit for these type of pickup.
    Please share here details about emg pickup.

I need
    1)design
    2)Number of wire(awg)
    3)Net Resistance.
    4)Type of magnets

I don't think that anybody except EMG really knows for sure. There is no way that I know of to disassemble one without destroying it.
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
      I don't think that anybody except EMG really knows for sure. There is no way that I know of to disassemble one without destroying it.
      Heh...

OK... a while back someone was kind enough to send me this:

He dissected an EMG 81

Magnet: Ceramic 56x3x13mm
      Wire: 0,06mm (PE)
      Core: 54x3x12,5mm (silicon steel?), solid steel.
      Coil: 4,18KOhm (one coil), wax potted, aprox. 5500-6000 turns, h=7,5mm
      Bobbin: 64x13x9mm (or with "tube legs" 12,2mm)
      The coils are attached to the preamp in parallel, with the series connection to ground, and the other two ends to the (+) and (-) of the op amp.

As a bonus here's also an EMG SA that I dissected.
      Attached Files
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Dave Schwab has some info that might help.

Comment

Very nice, David!!!
          -Stan
          ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
          Stan Hinesley Pickups
          FaceBook

Comment

What kind sound does an emg pickup have. Undistorted high Gain something ?
            For this opamp preamp circuit must be used instead of transistor amp. I think

this can be used.

Comment

And thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by ubaid88 View Post
                What kind sound does an emg pickup have. Undistorted high Gain something ?
                For this opamp preamp circuit must be used instead of transistor amp. I think
                You've never heard an EMG?

They sound like pickups. They run the two coils in a differential fashion to the op amp for low noise. Since the coils are buffered, they "tone model" the coils, probably by loading them to get a more passive tone.

They also have the entire pickup in a brass mesh Faraday cage.. at least the SA I took apart did. They are very quiet pickups. I like them quite a bit on guitar.

I got tired of them for bass.

I really only opened the SA because I'm nosey, and I'm not interested in copying one at all. I think their preamps are the key to their tone.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

So is the EMG SA wired the same as the EMG 81 only with the coils stacked on each other with the magnet underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by John Fisher View Post
                    So is the EMG SA wired the same as the EMG 81 only with the coils stacked on each other with the magnet underneath?
                    The SA has an alnico magnet as the core. The S uses a ceramic magnet. The SV, SAV, and SLV have alnico poles like a traditional Strat pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	emg_sa7.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	845177

Comment

Thanks for the helpful comment.
                      I don't have much experience with EMGs so it is interesting.
                      Would the SV, SAV and SLV have 2 coils in them like the SA although they call them active single coil pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by John Fisher View Post
                        Thanks for the helpful comment.
                        I don't have much experience with EMGs so it is interesting.
                        Would the SV, SAV and SLV have 2 coils in them like the SA although they call them active single coil pickups?
                        None of their pickups are single coils. All the single coil sized pickups are stacked humbuckers.

Comment

Working...
                        X