X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan JB

Anyone know what gauge wire he uses?

[edit]

Never mind.. I got it. 44 AWG... which is what I figured.

I'm winding myself one.
    Last edited by David Schwab; 07-01-2008, 07:51 PM.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    Anyone know what gauge wire he uses?

[edit]

Never mind.. I got it. 44 AWG... which is what I figured.

I'm winding myself one.
    Hey, David:

Would you mind reporting your final resistance and winds count?

-drh
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
      Hey, David:

Would you mind reporting your final resistance and winds count?

-drh
      Sure... What I found was a similar Gibson pickup, the 84T that was in the Kramer 1984 Reissue. That was spec'd at 6800 turns of 44, 16.34K. I'm guessing that's 6800 per bobbin.

The Duncan site lists the JB as 16.4K, so it has to be pretty close to the 84T.

However... I don't have any 44, so I'll be using 45 heavy.

It will be a different beast for sure. I'm using a Stew-mac kit, since I had one laying around, but I have a slightly larger/stronger A5 that's I'm going to use.

I'll have to wait to put my Charvel Strat back together to test it, but that was the next plan. I'll post an update... should be in a day or so, but might be later if I get the time.

I have a zillion SIP header connectors to wire up to 4 conductor cable...
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Sure... What I found was a similar Gibson pickup, the 84T that was in the Kramer 1984 Reissue. That was spec'd at 6800 turns of 44, 16.34K. I'm guessing that's 6800 per bobbin.
        Thanks.

My coil guesstimator suggests that was a tight hand wind
        or a machine wind on a 50mm PAF bobbin.

If so, the same windings of AWG 45 heavy will make
        your pup weigh in at 10-11k ohms DC resistance per coil.

-drh
        "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Thanks.

My coil guesstimator suggests that was a tight hand wind
          or a machine wind on a 50mm PAF bobbin.

If so, the same windings of AWG 45 heavy will make
          your pup weigh in at 10-11k ohms DC resistance per coil.

-drh
          Daniel, the first thing that came to mind was your coil guesstimator... but then I would have to find the bookmark, and plug in numbers... so I took the quick (read: lazy) route and Googled lol

But I was planning on trying it out before I wound it.

I don't mind if I end up with something different from a JB, but I felt like winding something hot for the bridge position on that guitar.

I might even try sticking a neo bar magnet on it at some point.

Comment

By the way... I was going through your random links, and saw PAiA... I had exchanged a could of very pleasant emails with John Simonton shortly before he passed away... boy that was a shock.

I have fond memories of building many of their kits, including helping a friend build a whole synth kit!

Boy, those were the days.

Comment

My coil guesstimator suggests...
              What's that URL again?

Comment

David, I've got a JB at home....very cool pickup...harmonics just jump out of it like crazy! I can get you readings on it if you like when I get home....DCR, ACR, Q, and inductance @ 120Hz and 1KHz. Let me know if you'd like it.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
                  David, I've got a JB at home....very cool pickup...harmonics just jump out of it like crazy! I can get you readings on it if you like when I get home....DCR, ACR, Q, and inductance @ 120Hz and 1KHz. Let me know if you'd like it.

Greg
                  Yeah, it's a great pickup. And I'll probably end up with something very different... we'll see.

Sure, that would be cool.

Speaking of readings... what's everyone using for gauss readings?

I'm making my shopping list for test equipment. I already know to get an Extech 380193...

Comment

If so, the same windings of AWG 45 heavy will make your pup weigh in at 10-11k ohms DC resistance per coil.
                    OK, I got 9.89K with 6,823 turns. That's before taping.

Comment

JBs are nice pickups.....I have a 59 neck and JB bridge in my Dean custom shop Flying V.
                      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

OK, so I can't say if it sounds like a JB... and I'm not sure how I feel about it clean yet, but distorted works just fine.

I'm going to try swapping the alnico for a ceramic next.

nunkachunkahumbucker

Comment

Coil Guesstimator release notes

What's that URL again?
                          http://www.salvarsan.org/pickups/Coil_Estimator.html

Summary:
                          It estimates pickup windings counts from measured DC resistance.

It DOES NOT calculate resistance from winds.

INTEMPERATE DISCLAIMER

Since it can't figure out how hung over the pickup builder was
                          or what he was doing with with his left hand to pass the time,
                          the best you can get is an estimate.

Don't whine at me that it can't exactly nail the windings count on your
                          experimental asymmetric rhombohedral strat/tele/PAF/mini/P90/blade using
                          Alnico/ceramic/neodymium/refrigerator stripping for magnets.

No likey, no usey, STFU.

OTOH, information about how the bobbin sizes are slightly inaccurate,
                          or how you consistently get X resistance from Y winds would be very
                          helpful (and much appreciated) for improving this ratbag of code snippets
                          that works only by the Grace of God.

Despite containing a copyright notice,
                          it is freely distributable, as if there
                          would ever be a broad audience for it.

Since it is a javascript/HTML application:
                          • You can save and run a local copy on your machine without harm;
                          • It is self-contained, the code looks like a bloated bag of fertilizer. Fix it at your own peril.

-drh

Comment

I have a Jeff Beck that Seymour wound for me 25 years ago that reads 12.8, and several newer ones taken from Hamers from the 90's that read from 15.5 to 17!

Consistency is hard when you make 30+ before lunch, I guess....

Comment

Yeah, it's a great pickup. And I'll probably end up with something very different... we'll see.

Sure, that would be cool.

Speaking of readings... what's everyone using for gauss readings?

I'm making my shopping list for test equipment. I already know to get an Extech 380193...
                              Alright, I'll post the info I have on it later tonight then.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X