Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
    C.

You're no fun....you could of sent me a pic of the aftermath of this event....that way I could of included a picture of your swollen and bruised fingers/hand in my new book that i'm writing called "Hands of Shame...A Hardcore Handwinder's Tale of Pickup Winding".
    You get your hand stuck in between two of these slamming together, and the only pic availabe after the trip to the hospital would be of my wrist!
    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
      You get your hand stuck in between two of these slamming together, and the only pic availabe after the trip to the hospital would be of my wrist!
      That's no joke! I'm dealing with fairly small neos, and several times I had one try to leap out of my fingers unto the stack, and it attempted to go through my fingers, rather than around! Hurt like hell. Also twice one went sliding across the table and stuck onto another hard enough to split it in two.

They will also rip through the plastic bag they come in.

Crazy magnets.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Crazy magnets.
        Almost as fun as playing with mercury as a kid..
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Thanks Chevalij for the picture and explanation of the jig.

I am thinking of doing something similar when I receive the magnets. However, I am also thinking about making some kind of possibility to slide the magnet apart in respect of the magnetizing direction, because I am not very much at ease about bringing in and out the magnetized Alnico from the side due to the odd shape the field is at the edge of the magnets (I am not to sure what the effect is at that moment, when living the field, especially if used with Alnico 2 which is isotropic. Possum mentioned this fact in some other thread I think)

Originally posted by David King View Post
          It's my understanding that neos work much better for charging if you can connect them together with heavy steel plates to form a horse shoe circuit with a narrow gap where you pass your pickups or alnico bars through.
          I have made some simulation with FEMM using some steel bar between two neo bars to make a "U" shape circuit, and yes it does actually increase the field in the gap by 5 to 10%.
          So this may be an helpful trick.
          www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

I wasn't overly concerned about keeping the field closed using a steel vise. And I've found no negatives from moving the pickups through the side of the field. Actually, that's the only way you could do it with small stewmac mags due to the size.

Also, with the size of these I'm not to worried about increasing the field by 5% They'll suck a shot-put through a garden hose!
            www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
            X