Magnet Source/Type/Magnetic Properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet Source/Type/Magnetic Properties

I've been hearing lately that some of the magnets at Addiction Fx have been less than consistent . . I like their pricing but would like a reliable source...... Anybody have a good source for magnets ??
    Thanx!
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-26-2020, 06:10 PM.

HHmmm........maybe I posted in the wrong place.

Comment

How are the magnets they supply not being consistent ?
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Since I don't have a magnetometer [yet] I'm going by what other winders have told me. Apparently the magnets' gauss readings have been inconsistent [ A5's weren't all A5's , etc.] I had some unoriented rough-cast A5's from them that were noticeably weaker than others in the same batch. Perhaps it's due to the Chinese magnets [?] I know that the unoriented A5's are going to be different from each other, but some of these were unusable in pickups.

Comment

Although I really like Addiction FX....they've been great in every other area.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian W. View Post
            Since I don't have a magnetometer [yet]
            Forget about so-called magnetometers and get a real Gauss/Tesla meter instead.
            Also as a PU builder you should be able to magnetize (or demagnetize) your magnets to desired Gauss levels. This requires a Gauss meter and some practice.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-21-2020, 08:51 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yup, I was looking at Gauss meters today [but that's all in the future]. Right now I'd just like to get a reliable supply of magnets. I suppose I should be prepared to return a few "iffy" ones.

Comment

Just went through this myself, A2 10 pieces. I have nothing bad to say ever about addictionfx as he ships the quickest and often throws in extras when i am ordering 100's. Here is a A2 just received, here is after running through magnetool 24c magnetizer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_152741.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	907931

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_152831.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	907932

Comment

I like A F X a lot.....no complaints. I think a gauss meter would be what I need to make sure things are within certain parameters . Would you use the magnet before you ran it through a magnetizer or do you like them fully charged?

Comment

Strat singles I zap when completed. Humbuckers I'm just making my first few sets so still experimenting. If I were you, I would go the neo route for charging.

As for degaussing, unless you have a way to measure, you are going to be all over the map. I have 4 different demagnetizers for cassettes and recording heads and they all act different, some barely do anything and others will wipe 85% with a 1 second push of a button.

Comment

For right now I would just like to know that the A4 or A5 that I ordered from Addiction FX are in fact what they say they are. Maybe that's an unrealistic expectation in all instances .

Comment

I have both and could check. I'll look up the strength and see how far apart they are supposed to be. I have a feeling there are no current A4 made except for a few well known builders whom ask a good price if they even sell them separately.

Comment

My only bad experience with Addiction FX was that the A4 bar magnets I ordered some years ago were no A4. While having a magnetic strength similar to US (Arnold) A4, they were analyzed as a completely different alloy.
                          Haven't ordered magnets from them since.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                            I have both and could check. I'll look up the strength and see how far apart they are supposed to be. I have a feeling there are no current A4 made except for a few well known builders whom ask a good price if they even sell them separately.
                            Since I don't have a gauss meter I can only check the strength of the magnets with a screwdriver [or something like that] . The A4 are weaker then the A5 so I just assume they are indeed A4!

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                              My only bad experience with Addiction FX was that the A4 bar magnets I ordered some years ago were no A4. While having a magnetic strength similar to US (Arnold) A4, they were analyzed as a completely different alloy.
                              Haven't ordered magnets from them since.
                              Aha! I was always under the assumption that the strength of the magnet was all that mattered. So....basically......what is going on is all the magnets made from the same alloy are just being charged up to a certain point [A5 is the strongest, etc etc]

Comment

Working...
                              X