Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fill/redrill/tap baseplate holes -- JB Weld doesn't work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fill/redrill/tap baseplate holes -- JB Weld doesn't work

    So the usual sources of 50mm short leg humbucker baseplates dried up as they often do when I need them most. I ordered some from Ebay from China (oops). The mount screw holes are slightly larger than 3/48 which I didn't discover until I had made a set of pickups with them. I hit the roof.

    So I get the idea of JB Weld to the rescue. I mixed, filled per instructions, let it cure and dry for OVER 24 hours at room temp. Drilled it out today and it all just fell out like sawdust. Sawdust, mud or Playdough would have worked better.

    What would actually work to retrieve this situation? Isn't JB Weld supposed to be redrillable/tappable? If not, then what is?


  • #2
    Honestly if you must use those , get you some different screws. Nothing is going to work well except new screws.
    nosaj
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe a helicoil insert?
      https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/3-4...epair-kit.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Be alot cheaper just to get the right screws , when you add up time, labor, shipping, etc
        nosaj
        Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
          JB Weld to the rescue. I mixed, filled per instructions, let it cure and dry for OVER 24 hours at room temp. Drilled it out today and it all just fell out like sawdust
          Then you did something VERY wrong.
          Isn't JB Weld supposed to be redrillable/tappable?
          Yes, it is.
          Again, something very wrong, specially the sawdust bit.

          Please show pictures of tht or it didnīt happen.

          In any case, nosaj is realistic, use the screws matching existing holes and threads.

          And that millenia old Imperial system must die (it actually comes from the Romans, go figure).
          I bet chinese sent you the closest metric size.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

          Comment


          • #6
            I've seen many aftermarket HBs and a number of expensive "boutique" PUs that use baseplates having larger holes than the screw diameter.
            With a typical PAF type HB, there is no (mechanical) need for the polescrews to be held by the basesplate as they already thread into the bobbins.

            Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-01-2021, 03:04 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

            Comment


            • #7
              These cost more than the usual distribution points but perhaps a dozen will get you by in the short-term: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/produ...-universal-usa

              Comment


              • #8
                Click image for larger version

Name:	lab-metal-12-oz-58.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	921555
                Jack Briggs

                sigpic
                www.briggsguitars.com

                forum.briggsguitars.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  They are usually same thread as these
                  https://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...-Screws-Nickel
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    Then you did something VERY wrong.

                    Yes, it is.
                    Again, something very wrong, specially the sawdust bit.

                    Please show pictures of tht or it didnīt happen.

                    In any case, nosaj is realistic, use the screws matching existing holes and threads.

                    And that millenia old Imperial system must die (it actually comes from the Romans, go figure).
                    I bet chinese sent you the closest metric size.
                    Mix it half and half. Fill hole. Wait 15-24 hours to cure. Instructions followed verbatim so what did I do wrong? If you're coming at me like this, it sounds like I could show pictures but you'd say it still didn't happen, I must have used photoshop.

                    Also, some of you seem to be confused and think I'm talking about pole screw holes. No, the holes in the legs that mount the humbucker to ring/pickguard/body.

                    I could use different screws, I have some that match, but they are too thick in many cases to go through the holes in the pickup ring or pickguard and customers don't like that.

                    And finally, I say get rid of metric. This is the first time I've run into this problem on a baseplate, and I've had plenty from outside the US. You can't make me like soccer either.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post

                      Mix it half and half. Fill hole. Wait 15-24 hours to cure. Instructions followed verbatim so what did I do wrong? If you're coming at me like this, it sounds like I could show pictures but you'd say it still didn't happen, I must have used photoshop.

                      Also, some of you seem to be confused and think I'm talking about pole screw holes. No, the holes in the legs that mount the humbucker to ring/pickguard/body.

                      And finally, I say get rid of metric. This is the first time I've run into this problem on a baseplate, and I've had plenty from outside the US. You can't make me like soccer either.
                      Ok a picture is worth a thousand words lets see what your talking about then.
                      nosaj
                      Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                        Also, some of you seem to be confused and think I'm talking about pole screw holes. No, the holes in the legs that mount the humbucker to ring/pickguard/body.
                        Sorry, obviously I misunderstood, didn't read carefully.

                        - Own Opinions Only -

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a bunch of baseplates, 50mm, nickel silver, short legs. Covers too! I am not making pickups any longer and would like to sell off what I have. Will let them go for cost! PM if interested. Include wish list if you have several items needed. -Ken
                          Roadhouse Pickups

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                            So the usual sources of 50mm short leg humbucker baseplates dried up as they often do when I need them most. I ordered some from Ebay from China (oops). The mount screw holes are slightly larger than 3/48 which I didn't discover until I had made a set of pickups with them. I hit the roof.

                            So I get the idea of JB Weld to the rescue. I mixed, filled per instructions, let it cure and dry for OVER 24 hours at room temp. Drilled it out today and it all just fell out like sawdust. Sawdust, mud or Playdough would have worked better.

                            What would actually work to retrieve this situation? Isn't JB Weld supposed to be redrillable/tappable? If not, then what is?

                            JB Weld has a bunch of epoxies and other products, it might be that you used a bonding product instead of a filling product. I just made that same mistake recently. The filling epoxy I ended up buying was for outdoor use, so I can't recommend it be used in this case. In any event, look for evidence that the product in question cures to a solid, and not like a rubber-like mass.

                            Another fix, not as permanent, is to just jam something fibrous (wood, string, wire, paper) into the screw holes, and then the screws will wedge in with the fibers.

                            Another fix, I've actually done, is went to the hardware store and bough very similar screws that come with same-sized nuts provided, and rather than screw into the leg directly, you screw into the nut, under the leg. If you could find the right sized nut for the screw you want to use, the JB Weld you have on hand could be used to bond the nut to the leg.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              All of these suggestions sound great for personal stuff, but for sale to a customer...do you want them to see a bodied up job? Its only your reputation.
                              nosaj
                              Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

                              Comment

                              bostanci escort
                              sisli escort mecidiyekoy escort
                              pendik escort
                              sex vidio
                              altyazili porno
                              antalya escort
                              beylikduzu eskort bayan eskort bayan escort antalya sirinevler bayan escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              atasehir escort
                              antalya escort bayan escort atakoy
                              izmit escort
                              ankara escort
                              porno
                              Working...
                              X