Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID-ing PU's or at least Red and Blue wires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID-ing PU's or at least Red and Blue wires...

Chrome LP looking pickups with no markings.
    I repaired the shielded wire coming from the seriesed coils [inside PU cover], and I'd like to try them in parallel...
    There is a red and blue wire coming from each coil, I guessed the red's go together to output, and the blues both go to ground...it-'works', that is it clicks pretty loud on either side [adjustable pole piece coil and fixed pole coil], but I'm not sure whether they are in or out of phase or even which way I would prefer them to be.
    The blue wires appear to emanate from the same point from each coil [same with the red].
    The only 'telltale' of anykind other than the red/blue wires is the shielded wire being 2 conductor, grey, and 'small ish diameter, also the bobbin tops and bottoms are clear, also the tape I pulled from over the fixed poles seemed to make them more movable [ie ; vibratable...another piece of tape or more permanent measure of fixing them is being considered.
    Ibanez Super 70's maybe ? [wild guess].
    @@R@te the screw-pole coil seems to have had copious amounts of sweat or other added to it, mostly through the low E hole.
    I'm considering a rewind of that coil. The other matching PU's in pretty good condition, must have been situated next to the sweat-drip area, differences by sight are undetectable, but I suppse they were clipped short at the bottom plate out of the same guitar.

Seymour Duncan has a comprehensive listing of wiring diagrams including the color coding of various makers.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=color_codes

hope this helps
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Brass baseplate held on with a brown glue? Cover full of wax? They sound like they may be old Epiphone pickups from what you have already described.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Actually it looks wax free.
        some old humbuckers, at this point it'd be just as easy to stick them in a guitar and see what comes out !

Comment

If you wire it up and it hums, they are in phase. It will also sound very thin.

Humbucker coil are wired out-of-phase, because they have opposite magnetic polarity.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

color code

Hi Pete, if you finally figure out the manufacturer and the color code I would love to know what it is. I have a fairly extensive color code list on my webpage here: http://www.has-sound.com/info.htm and would like to add it.

Thanks!
            -Stan
            ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
            Stan Hinesley Pickups
            FaceBook

Comment

Working...
            X