Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil winding direction

Hello there,
    Got a pair of unknown Precision pickups, The magnets shows reversed poles but not pretty sure if winding direction of the coils are reversed one to the other or have to swap the terminals to get reversed current flow...My questions is: How I can determine the direction of the windings without to unmount them ,please ? Thanks.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Put a DC voltmeter across the output. Place a screwdriver tip near a magnet, pull away quickly, meter will deflect positive or negative.

Comment

Thanks Mozz. I.m not to physics orientated but please let me know the coil winding direction relative to magnetic pole affect in any way the amplitude of the induced current or just the current phase please ? In other words, there is any diference in output signal if I wound the coil clock or counterclockwise relative to magnet position? Thanks.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Neither opposite magnet polarity nor opposite winding direction change output level.
        But each of them reverses signal polarity (aka "phase").
        So if you change both, signal polarity will be the same as before.

You can't hear signal polarity but it matters when combining PUs.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X