No announcement yet.

aliexpress pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if a small pickup maker is any good has great customer service skills and can market then no i don't it will kill his business. Besides I don't think pickup makers small ones that is rely entirely on pickups. That would not be wise. A discerning player do you think he will buy his pickups at the local convenince store or from someone with some prominence?
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
      I think if a small pickup maker is any good has great customer service skills and can market then no i don't it will kill his business. Besides I don't think pickup makers small ones that is rely entirely on pickups. That would not be wise. A discerning player do you think he will buy his pickups at the local convenince store or from someone with some prominence?
      nosaj
      I agree with your point of view,
      product quality, customer service are essential today more than yesterday. Providing a specific answer to the customer's need is the final solution to keep working, as well as an element of gratification for both parties manufacturer and musician.

Comment

No, because these are Strat pickups and most of the boutique makers are dealing in PAF replicas. There is a supplier of guitar parts called BYO that sells a reasonable PAF replica for well under $100, and they're based in Canada but the pickups are made in Hong Kong. The only details they don't get quite right are, I don't believe the bobbins are butyrate, and that the wire is not enamel coated, nor colored to give the appearance of enamel coating, and the base plates have two wire holes instead of just one, but otherwise the list of things they get right is long, most notably nickel silver cover and base plate. That attention to detail and low price point is still very uncommon on AliExpress. Logically, I would think the BYO offering should at least undercut the bigger domestic pickup manufacturers, who also do not use butyrate or plain enamel wire, among other things, but the fact that they haven't goes to show what an outsized factor brand reputation is in this market. The buyers don't seem to be deal hunters especially, instead they have a lot of enthusiasm about their favorite brands, even the bigger brands that aren't known for good one-on-one customer service. There's more emotional attachment than in markets where is widget is just a widget, and I think that keeps the AliExpress threat at bay, even as they undercut domestic prices by a factor of nearly ten to one in some cases.

As for Strat pickups, there is a boutique winder popular on Fender guitar forums claiming his pickups are domestic made (I only say that because it's not something I've seen with my own eyes) and selling sets for around ~$50, still more expensive than AliExpress, but undercutting them if you also factor in customer service and quicker delivery time. I noticed that some of the related single coil pickups in that aliexpress search are actually counterfeit Fender pickups, and I'd be concerned that they will start showing up on eBay, priced somewhere between the real thing and the aliexpress prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Antigua View Post

No, because these are Strat pickups and most of the boutique makers are dealing in PAF replicas. There is a supplier of guitar parts called BYO that sells a reasonable PAF replica for well under $100, and they're based in Canada but the pickups are made in Hong Kong. The only details they don't get quite right are, I don't believe the bobbins are butyrate, and that the wire is not enamel coated, nor colored to give the appearance of enamel coating, and the base plates have two wire holes instead of just one, but otherwise the list of things they get right is long, most notably nickel silver cover and base plate. That attention to detail and low price point is still very uncommon on AliExpress. Logically, I would think the BYO offering should at least undercut the bigger domestic pickup manufacturers, who also do not use butyrate or plain enamel wire, among other things, but the fact that they haven't goes to show what an outsized factor brand reputation is in this market. The buyers don't seem to be deal hunters especially, instead they have a lot of enthusiasm about their favorite brands, even the bigger brands that aren't known for good one-on-one customer service. There's more emotional attachment than in markets where is widget is just a widget, and I think that keeps the AliExpress threat at bay, even as they undercut domestic prices by a factor of nearly ten to one in some cases.

As for Strat pickups, there is a boutique winder popular on Fender guitar forums claiming his pickups are domestic made (I only say that because it's not something I've seen with my own eyes) and selling sets for around ~$50, still more expensive than AliExpress, but undercutting them if you also factor in customer service and quicker delivery time. I noticed that some of the related single coil pickups in that aliexpress search are actually counterfeit Fender pickups, and I'd be concerned that they will start showing up on eBay, priced somewhere between the real thing and the aliexpress prices.
          very clear and shareable what you stated

Comment

Working...
          X