Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the fender pickup be out of phase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the fender pickup be out of phase?

I'm inspecting the pickups i have. I noticed a difference between 2 Fender sets. Tex-Mex (with plastic cable) and Fat 50's (with cloth cable). Can you help me decide which one is correct by looking at the winding start-ends and wire colors? I think one of the middle pickups was soldered wrong. These 2 sets must be RWRP on the middle according to their specs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tex mex.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	957309 Click image for larger version

Name:	FAT 50S.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	957310

I think with the Tex Mex set the middle PU is not reverse wound but (likely) reverse connected.
    That would result in reversed electrical phase as required with reversed magnetic polarity.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The Fat Fifty set appear to be RWRP.
      The middle pickup is reverse wound.
      Like H said the other set are all wound the same direction with middle pickup reversed hookup wire.
      To me that is not desirable.
      The pickup has less noise if the start lead is grounded, and the finish lead is wired to output.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks Helmholtz and big_teee for your answers. As i understand, there is no any mistake. Fender sells texmex cheaper and it may be the reason. What if i resolder the middle pickup of tex mex like: wind start to ground and wind end to hot?

Comment

Originally posted by hendrix_inspiration View Post
          What if i resolder the middle pickup of tex mex like: wind start to ground and wind end to hot?
          Reversing the middle PU wires will result in thin out-of-phase sound without humbucking when combined with other PUs.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            Reversing the middle PU wires will result in thin out-of-phase sound without humbucking when combined with other PUs.
            Thanks man. Now, i understand exactly.

Problem in my head is solved

Comment

Working...
            X