Supplier for very short A5 rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplier for very short A5 rods?

Anyone have one? Mojo makes the shortest I can find but they are .425; really looking for more like .4.

Originally posted by wizard333 View Post
    Anyone have one? Mojo makes the shortest I can find but they are .425; really looking for more like .4.
    Mojo don't make them - they supply them.
    You can have them ground down to .400". Probably the only way to get what you're looking for.

cheers
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Someone must make them, Fralin uses them in one of their models and I doubt they're grinding them down in house.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard333 View Post
        Someone must make them, Fralin uses them in one of their models and I doubt they're grinding them down in house.
        you don't know that. magnets are ground in large batches and Fralin make a lot of pickups. they may not grind them in house but have them ground by a machine shop. send them an email and ask if they'll sell you some - it might work.

cheers,
        Jack Briggs

sigpic
        www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Not sure what the shipping would be like (I assume you are based in the US?) and this might be the wrong diameter for you but this Polish supplier sells 4x10mm A5 rods (.157"x.394") and their pricing isn't bad at all.

Even shorter (7mm / .276") but .197" / 5mm in diameter - https://www.guysmagnets.com/alnico-m...nico-rod-p8205

I am pretty sure you can find .4" somewhere, but you might have to look outside of the usual 'pickup magnet' market.

Comment

Cermag in the UK have .417" rods in .187" diameter. would require less grinding, you can do it on a disc sander, just be careful not to overheat, a little dab on the sander then a dunk into some water and keep going until you're down the length. If it's just a one-off for a custom pickup, it's not gonna be that much of a bother. If you're gonna need a bunch of them, just custom order a load from a magnet supplier.

Comment

Thought grinding down magnets was easier said than done?

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                Thought grinding down magnets was easier said than done?
                unless one employs a machine shop to do the work
                Jack Briggs

sigpic
                www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I use to be able to get bunting to cut small amounts of alnico rod- it comes in 6 inch lengths and they cut it or thats how it use to be 20 or 25 years ago- you can buy more and get whatever but I would check if Bunting or Arnold will still do that- if you only need 6 ask for a sample and they might supply you if you go about it right. Be aware the shorter an alnico rod gets the weaker they are. I have some .187 X .25 that will hardly lift its own weight.

Comment

Originally posted by epizootics View Post
                    Not sure what the shipping would be like (I assume you are based in the US?) and this might be the wrong diameter for you but this Polish supplier sells 4x10mm A5 rods (.157"x.394") and their pricing isn't bad at all.

Even shorter (7mm / .276") but .197" / 5mm in diameter - https://www.guysmagnets.com/alnico-m...nico-rod-p8205

I am pretty sure you can find .4" somewhere, but you might have to look outside of the usual 'pickup magnet' market.
                    Which Polish supplier?
                    Cheers
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post

Which Polish supplier?
                      Cheers
                      Andrew
                      Oops. It seems I forgot to copy the link for this one: https://enesmagnets.pl/shop/en/perma...agnets/alnico/

They store rods in not-so-common dimensions as well as a few different types of alnico. Never used them though, so I can't vouch for the quality, but, hey, those are magnets!

Comment

Working...
                      X