Fender SCN noise issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender SCN noise issue

Today a friend of mine gave me a broken fender scn noiseless jazz bridge pickup.

I am a newbie in pickup making. I winded both stacked coils with 44awg polywire. Dcr is about 14k. Everything seemed fine but when I wired the bass and check it; the original neck pickup was dead quiet but the one i winded has a little bit more noise.

I checked everything (winding directions, polarity, wiring, ground, also tried copper tape to the polepieces but the original one still has a lower noise.

Do you have any theories? I thought that mine was not machine winded so thw coils can not humcancel perfectly, maybe?

Since noise isn't quantified, it's hard to really know if it's increased or decreased. I'd check the inductance of the two coils to see how similar or not they are. It is possible for two coils to have the same DCR but different inductance, due to differences in how the coils are wound. If they are not machine-made coils, there's obviously more potential for variation. I'd guess the stock SCN's were machine wound.

Comment

Working...
    X