Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winding hotrails

Hi,
    I have had problems after I winded a neck minihumbucker so the bridge was I think out of phase. What should I do know when winding the bridge again, should I wind the other bobbin reverse?
    Can neckpickups polarities or windings have anything to do with the bridge pickups sound then when it is ready. The are rail type of singlecoilsized humbuckers.
    Is it possible that this will not nwork again? Sorry for difficult question.

If the coils of both PUs are wound and connected the same and each PU alone sounds good, you probably have a reversed magnet in one of the PUs.

Typically you want both PUs to deliver same phase signals.

There are 3 ways to reverse PU coil signal phase:
    - Opposite winding direction/sense,
    - reversed start/end wire connections,
    - reverse magnet polarity.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-27-2022, 08:26 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Hello,

I have a Strat I am building. It will have H-S-H PU:s. So if I wind the humbuckers each with RWRP does it matter if the singlecoil in the middle is North up or down or which way winded. I was assuming that the humbuckers would have to be identical in this case, only the bridge will be hotter, more windings.

Thank you.

Comment

When combining PUs you typically want them to have the same signal phase.
        To test for signal phase I connect a voltmeter to the PU, put a screwdriver on the poles and quickly remove it.
        Watch for positive or negative meter reading during removal of the screwdriver.
        This test works best with an analog needle meter in the lowest voltage range.

If you need to reverse signal phase see post #2.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-07-2023, 07:14 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Good day,
          I have a question. I cannot find schematics on the internet, so I try to ask for help. I have winded bridge and neck humbuckers and have an old Lace sensor as middle (H-S-H).
          I have 500k pots and I have 2 (0.022u) capasitors. i have 5-way switch. No push pull pots. I cannot find good schematics so I am little scared to try soldering anything. Thanks.

Comment

No coil splittings there in the HBs

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              When combining PUs you typically want them to have the same signal phase.
              To test for signal phase I connect a voltmeter to the PU, put a screwdriver on the poles and quickly remove it.
              Watch for positive or negative meter reading during removal of the screwdriver.
              This test works best with an analog needle meter in the lowest voltage range.

If you need to reverse signal phase see post #2.
              Funny thing is, I have always used the resistance scale on an analog meter 20k ohms and just see which way the needle swings when a screwdriver is moved over the pickup. I've never tried the voltage range, i'll have to try that.
              Cheers
              Andrew

Comment

Working...
              X