Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Musicman Stingray Rewind

Hello all,

Had this 1979 Stingray bass pickup show up. The South up coil is dead, (black and white wires). The North up coil reads 2.8k and has Green and Yellow wires. The dead coil wire is damaged so I can't see the start. (I can't see it on the functioning coil either.) The wire looks like Poly, but appears thicker than 42awg.
    Anybody have experience rewinding these? Are the coils RWRP or both wound the same? I know it's wired in parallel. Thanks you in advance!​

Bump anyone?

I found this site that has a wealth of info.
    Yours is probably wired in parallel.
    Probably Reverse wound coils.
    http://www.musicmanbass.global/sr4-p...-eb-eb-part-1/
    T

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-04-26 19-59-14.png
Views:	210
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	981436

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

With one coil open, the whole PU would measure open with series wiring.
      With parallel wiring you would see the resistance of the good coil.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to see this. I guess it is best to answer for future searches leading people here. I have all of the files for this era, so I may be the only person with the answers. CLF Research was using 42 gauge single build Soderex (Polyurethane) insulation coil wire by Essex wire. They are reverse wound/reverse polarity to each other. In the future, anyone with any questions about the materials used in 1970's Music Man and early G&L pickups, you can find me on Instagram. My account is guitarcheology.
        Last edited by Jim Shine; 08-25-2023, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X