P bass pickups humbucking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P bass pickups humbucking question

Hello. Are the original P bass pickups reversed wound please ? I just wondering as many I saw are wounded identical, just conected start to start or end to end which of course meant the current runs through the coils in opposite direction but not reversed wound.
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 09-20-2023, 02:10 AM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

I've rewound a couple of those.
    The originals had a brass baseplate under the pickups.
    Reversed wound and reverse polarity.
    Here is a link to a sketch of the baseplate, how the coils set on the baseplate.
    Viewed from the top of the pickups.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=837995.jpg Views:	0 Size:	258.7 KB ID:	986264
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 09-20-2023, 05:05 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks. Just one more please: From a point I think identical wounded coils serve better in terms of hum cancelation, as exposed in identical way the outer side of coils . I may be wrong, I don't know if matter in terms of humbucking. Any thoughts please ? Thanks.
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 09-20-2023, 04:14 AM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Not much difference RWRP or both wound the same.
        If both wound the same, you either tie the starts together or tie the finish leads together.
        Either way, one coil has magnets north up and the other coil south up.
        Polarity is important if you have another pickup like a J coil in the same bass with the split P.
        That determines if in phase or not.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
          Hello. Are the original P bass pickups reversed wound please ? I just wondering as many I saw are wounded identical, just conected start to start or end to end which of course meant the current runs through the coils in opposite direction but not reversed wound.
          Yes, the originals were reverse wound/reverse polarity. Leo began using RW/RP in 1955 and used it in all future multi pickup designs. So when he designed the new P-Bass pickup for the relaaunch in 1957, it contained that RW/RP technology. While it was most commonly found in steels, Duo Sonics used it as well.

Comment

Working...
          X